Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

are oversized wheels ruining the look of old cars?

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
by old cars i mean cars earlier than vn's.

my vb is on SLE 15's atm but that will soon be changing to a different style of 15's when i put a 9 inch in there, and my vs is on 17's.

i went to the drag racing on sunday and ucsmoke was there, i didn't enjoy the big dished rims with paint for tyres on there, some fat rubber on 15's would have been my choice but i spose some people like that.

surely the people that are running bigger wheels on their older cars like 18-19 inch are more worried about potholes and have a harsher ride than those on 15's on the street. for me, i'd rather be able to drive away from hitting a pothole than having to get the spare out.

newer cars, sure don't run tiny wheels on them, well most you can't anyway because of brake clearance issues but i still think that for street use, wheel size and tyre aspect ratio are becoming a bit outrageous, and it nearly seems that car manufacturers are building the cars to fit aftermarket wheels.

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
16" for the max, i have a hj that is getting a set of vs stato wheels, defiantly wouldn't go bigger

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i think upto 17's on VB-VK's look good, fill the gaurds nicely. any bigger and i'm not a huge fan. newer models you could go slightly bigger to fill the gaurds properly.

one thing i really dislike is really wide rims with treads that are stretched to fit on the rim just to get that deep dish look. looks frikkin terrible

roy38

Reaction score
Members Ride
thunder
Who called anybody a wanker? Read the thread title, a thunder ute is hardly an old car....

I could almost Guarantee that 99% of the cars on the road that have bigger wheels than what's allowed for that car would NOT be engineered.

Well the wanker thing was a misread, I just went back through, apologies. The point i was getting at is yes i understand that there are a lot of people who wouldn't have them engineered, but I don't think writing them off as twats on first look is fair, they have different tastes and may very well be engineered.

Either way, we live in a world where people have varying tastes and I really don't know if it's worth the effort of getting upset about what they do with their stuff......

Last edited:

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
sorry got nothing to do with tread but

But don't you hate it when you see these cars going around with black bonnets???????
They think is fully sick mate

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
It's a 2 way street mate...You don't seem to respect our opinions either.

UCSMOKE is a sweet car for sure, but the wheels let it down IMO. I can forgive him though, because the rest of the car is perfect....:p

needed a little paint when i saw it, but yeah its very nice, and a monster on the pad!

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
yes, the paint looked a bit bubbley...

there was a black vs ute with a powerglide there, it had what looked to be bigger than 20's on it and sat like it had a 4 inch lift kit! not cool.

sam5l

australias driving future
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5L / vn spak buick powered
personally centreline convo pro et rims are the **** when it comes to vb-vk they suit there not big there not chrome and there not wog there i said it

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
16" for the max, i have a hj that is getting a set of vs stato wheels, defiantly wouldn't go bigger

VS Stato rims on an HJ???? Another of my pet hates, Commodore rims on a HQ-WB series Holden. They never look any good....

one thing i really dislike is really wide rims with treads that are stretched to fit on the rim just to get that deep dish look. looks frikkin terrible

Agreed, tyre bag FTW.

needed a little paint when i saw it, but yeah its very nice, and a monster on the pad!

Yeh, it's looking a bit taddy now, but it spends it's life in burnout comps. I saw it at Summernats 2 years back, just after it had been rebuilt and it looked spot on (apart from the wheels, obviously).

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
Yeh, it's looking a bit taddy now, but it spends it's life in burnout comps. I saw it at Summernats 2 years back, just after it had been rebuilt and it looked spot on (apart from the wheels, obviously).

didnt it catch fire at that nats?

personally i dont think big wheels are ruining the look of old cars, i like some of the big wheels but i also like oldschool wheels.

if everyone had the same taste in wheels/cars its be a pretty dull scene dont ya think