Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Arif VP Wagon - Slammed Inj 304 V8

DioXidE

Reaction score
Members Ride
SKD55
Hey guys,

Well around mid last year I decided I needed a daily as driving my 180sx race car around everywhere was just asking for trouble. I was also looking for something that could tow it to the track as well! I stumbled upon this VP Wagon in the trader, He was asking $2500 but got him down to $1500. Drove it home the next day.

At the time it was a stock as a rock V6 5spd. In a matter of minutes I'd put in some king spring superlows all round to get it looking a bit nicer :)

It was a cool cruiser and I was enjoying it. But the bug sort of bit me. I told myself I have a modded up 180sx, no need to spend money on the wagon... Its just a daily... I tell you it in my blood to mod cars! I bought some cheap 17" BMW wheels for it and put them on, It looked ok, but I wasnt really a fan, So I swapped for some Koya Octane 18" wheels.

So the rear muffler rusted out, Good excuse to put a 2.5" catback exhaust on with a nice dumpy tip... Then I thought well for towing some diff gears would help. So in went some 3.9 diff gears. Now I thought while diff gears are getting done, I cant keep the open wheeler, so in went a LSD as well.

I kept cruising around like this until one night we deicded to do some skids and the old 6 pot cried enough!!!! My bottem end went and there was dramas all round :( At this time my mates where whispering 5L conversion 5L conversion! I didnt have the cash spare so I ended up buying a VR engine from the wreckers and putting it in...

So I cruised it around for a while. Bought a cheap set of pacemakers and then a 65mm v8 throttle body and put them on. But then disaster struck again! After doing some circle work, I broke the v6 again. Now I was in a dilemma. Buy another V6 or do a V8 conversion?

Well thats the donor car. Purchased a VR Calais for $2000 which was 5L auto. Over the next 3 weeks the conversion began! I bought a set of pacemakers to go on while the engine was out. Also changed all gaskets and cleaned the pickup as well.

I bought a full reco T700 with stage 2 shiftkit and corvette servo to go behind it. I used a full VN Loom and ECU as well. I ended up selling the 18" koya rims and going with persuit rims all round, Got a good deal on some with new rubber so on they went. Exhaust wise I have a twin cat system into a single 3" with single muffler and then resinator, its not too loud, but not to quiet either. Sounds tuff :)

Unfortunatly I dont have pics of it all completed.... I accidently erased them off my memory card :( I will take some tomorrow. Its a pretty fun car to drive. I'll leave a video of first startup :)

YouTube - VP 5L Conversion First Start

Let me know what you think guys :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well that made for some good reading :) well done !, riding the 5 litre on straps didn't look all that safe tho. I was just imagining one side letting go and the engine falling on the said body sideways. Oww

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
.... LOL!

- so what's going to be the next daily?

I like how much faith you have in a loaded up and fully extended engine crane!

What's done to the 180?

DioXidE

Reaction score
Members Ride
SKD55
Well that made for some good reading :) well done !, riding the 5 litre on straps didn't look all that safe tho. I was just imagining one side letting go and the engine falling on the said body sideways. Oww

LOL, yeah thats my mate shane, always pushing things to the limit! My foam tune should make this into a fire breathing monster, I'll try and run a 0-100 time for you :)

DioXidE

Reaction score
Members Ride
SKD55
.... LOL!

- so what's going to be the next daily?

I like how much faith you have in a loaded up and fully extended engine crane!

What's done to the 180?

Not sure, want to keep the wagon for a while, I tend to go over the top with cars....

The 180 has a fully rebuilt CA18DET in it. Also has a massive list of mods to go with it... If your interested, have a look at this...

Arif CA 180sx

DioXidE

Reaction score
Members Ride
SKD55
Oh, forgot to mention. I put int new link pin bushes/rods today and new Z bar bushes :)

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Nice man thats cool, heh i notice the first engine bay pics of the v6 look cleaner than the outside of the car! nice 180 too

DioXidE

Reaction score
Members Ride
SKD55
thanks for the comments, I took some photos for you all today :)

Nice and Clean engine bay

Rearing its rear end!!!

Front 1/4 shot

Nice and low side on :)