Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the petrol company dude

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
And thank goodness those constant petrol prices are actually close to the RIGHT price.

Cheapest I saw in Ryde - Hornsby - Central Coast was 105.5 in the last few days. Better than a kick in the balls I suppose...

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
It's been constant since the petrol companies succumbed to the pressure a week ago. At least, around where I live it's been constant.

Holden2gether

The short,chunky fella
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
What I was amazed at while in NZ was that their petrol prices are the same at every single servo (unless you go outside of town and they are a bit higher). They also have no weekly discounting cycle and when the oil price drops, the cpl drops as well. Interestingly, not a big rollout of LPG over there and the price was considerably higher, about $NZ0.92/l.

Petrol prices over here are fixed/controlled by 'The big three' (BP,Shell & Mobil) even the smaller stations are franchised to one of them.The big three think of New Zealand as a captive market and whilst they claim they don't,they all work together with their pricing if one company puts their pump price up,the rest follow suit within two hours.There is no real competition to take their profits from them,Gull has been in N.Z for about three years now and usually manages a few cents cheaper per litre than the big three,but they are setup on such a small scale that they aren't considered a threat by the others.The big three figure that there is a market here for all three of them to live quite happily,so why compete?
Other companies work the same way in New Zealand,large companies hold the monopoly so they charge what they like.Telecom were like that for years until another large company (your own Telstra) cam in and set up a few networks of cables, one in Wellington and the other here in Christchurch and funnily enough they are the only two area's of NZ that Telecom give cheaper rates and line rentals in,all other areas pay higher charges...go figure that one.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Just so you know, i work for Shell and they no longer own the retail portion of it, Coles express do, we just sell to coles express, we focus mainly on selling to larger companies, we do still handel shell card.. to become a customer of shell you require a annual use of 35,000L of fuel or something huge like that, i dont know im not involved in setting new accounts up

im pretty sure in victoria mobile and shell are the only 2 refinaries, which leaves the question, where does the BP fuel come from???

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
here in NZ there is only 1 refinery owned by some company whos major shareholders are......mobil/shell/bp etc. these companies have been done in the past for price fixing buy the commerce watchdog etc. a few years ago they complained that the cost of refined product had gone up dramatically and that they had to pass that onto the consumer but who owns that refinery? what gets me is the fact that companies like bp are making record profits in the 10's of billions of dollars each year. a few getting rich of the back of the consumer and yet they won't put that profit back into the industry to improve refineries etc for cleaner fuel untill it's legislated by law etc. things got a little better when Gull showed up here. they dropped the average fuel price by about 10c/ltr when they arived and they have better quality fuel then the big 4 supply here. i beleive Gull ships there fuel direct from Australia. we are currently paying $1.37 for 91 and $1.43 for 96, thats in auckland anywas. oyu can get upto 6c a ltr discount and sometimes 10c if your lucky with shopping reciepts/vouchers etc

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
I never pay for petrol anyway so I'm not at all concerned with prices! :yeah:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
im pretty sure in victoria mobile and shell are the only 2 refinaries, which leaves the question, where does the BP fuel come from???

Depending on the area it will come from mobil or Shell in unleaded only, in premium Bp is shipped from WA.