Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ASTRA Electric Power Steering Pump Conversion

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Heaps of makes and models use electric power steering, you don't need to go astra

Some Volvo do them with the ability to go remote reservoir

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The Astra unit looks small and compact, I've seen other units that are big, bulky and ugly.

An electric pump with remote reservoir seems ideal, hide the pump under a guard somewhere.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I believe the flow rate on the astra pump is lower giving slightly heavier steering than the volvo pump

Plus, if going a used item, the volvo pump is much newer

Also, IRT wiring, it seems most people joint both of the small power wires, but, the correct way is to not join them is NOT to join the wires, one is goes to switched power and one is to ignition, or something, this stops the pump from starting as soon as you turn on the ignition, and only starts the pump once the engine is running, there is also talk about when you run the wires from the different feeds it makes the pump more responsive when changing directions

Apparently joining the wires causes an initial lag in steering response

I've been doing alot of desk top research into all the different makes of electric ps pumps, there location to the rack (the closer the better), and the correct way to wire

Apparently the stock electric pumps have 3 power wires for a reason, 1 heavy gauge main power wire, and the 2 other lighter power wires to make the pump work like it is meant too

Electric ps is one of the mods I want to eventually do to my VX SS, probably when I relocate my battery to the boot when I am looking for more realestate for a larger reservoir for my interchiller

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The other thread that was linked earlier mentions the wiring on the Astra pump too and talks about separating the 2 accessory feeds but we may as well put as much info as we can in this thread as the title should make it very searchable and a good info archive for future use (will alter it slightly).

FA7V5

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Ute and VH SLE
I believe the flow rate on the astra pump is lower giving slightly heavier steering than the volvo pump

Plus, if going a used item, the volvo pump is much newer

Also, IRT wiring, it seems most people joint both of the small power wires, but, the correct way is to not join them is NOT to join the wires, one is goes to switched power and one is to ignition, or something, this stops the pump from starting as soon as you turn on the ignition, and only starts the pump once the engine is running, there is also talk about when you run the wires from the different feeds it makes the pump more responsive when changing directions

Apparently joining the wires causes an initial lag in steering response

I've been doing alot of desk top research into all the different makes of electric ps pumps, there location to the rack (the closer the better), and the correct way to wire

Apparently the stock electric pumps have 3 power wires for a reason, 1 heavy gauge main power wire, and the 2 other lighter power wires to make the pump work like it is meant too

Electric ps is one of the mods I want to eventually do to my VX SS, probably when I relocate my battery to the boot when I am looking for more realestate for a larger reservoir for my interchiller
What would be the maximum distance you could have it from the rack. Would mounted in the rear of a Ute be fine?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
What would be the maximum distance you could have it from the rack. Would mounted in the rear of a Ute be fine?
Going of what I have read on the Googles, the further away it is the more lag and heavier steering than the same pump mounted closer to the rack

But, that is going off the Googles and watching lots of YouTube

But going of most of the OEM applications it seems they try and get them as close to the rack as possible

How much of a difference won't be known unless you mount them in different locations and "test and tune"

I suppose it's a case of "it works", or, "it works as effectively as possible"

Side note: I've found that people using the Mini Cooper (BMW) electric power steering units have had issues with failures

I'm just going to sit quietly for a few months and see what people are doing around the world before I pull the pin on anything

Engineering and insurance wise, well, I haven't even looked into that yet

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Longer lines will always reduce the flow to some degree, how much? well that's anyone's guess but it all changes depending on lengths and bends etc.

You'd also need to ask or compare how easy or hard the steering is in the donor car but then steering geometry and wheel sizes all have a part to play. The beauty of the belt driven hydraulic pump is that there is a huge engine driving it with lots of reserve power.

I'd be interested in seeing any literature on current draw and does it change dependent on steering input (load sensor on the rack in OEM applications?) and does the fluid get very hot with an electrically driven hydraulic power steering pump?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
@Ginger Beer here are some ideas for you :)

This subject has me quite intrigued now.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
@Ginger Beer here are some ideas for you :)

This subject has me quite intrigued now.
Mounting position is poor, I like to easily check all fluids and stuff, I would have relocated the battery first, then put it there

I also couldn't find a video of him actually driving the car in anger

I hope it worked well for him, but, fitting is easy, making it work properly not so much

For me, more research is required before I pull the pin, mainly correct wiring

Looking at all of the wiring diagrams for how they connect up OEM style is as confusing as 10 confusing things to my limited brain capacity, can bus, resistors, squiggly things, oh my.....

Reactions: Lex