Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ATF fluid change

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I normally just run a bit of clear plastic hose and a funnel down the drivers side of the car and into the filler hole and tie the funnel to the mirror if a hand pump isn't available.

The mk1 EF was the last model to have a dipstick, they were deleted because muppets kept putting the old dextron gloop into the transmission instead of the required oil and wrecking their transmissions. They still had the little fitting on the transmission for a dipstick right up until the 4 speed was discontinued, a lot of taxi operators retrofit them.

I was going to use a bit of plastic pipe. Mate of mine has a gun I've used for diffs before but they're a pain.

Ford and the penrite website say dextron iii for the 4 speeds. Is this not correct?

mickey1010

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Falcon Futura & a VR flog bomb
I was going to use a bit of plastic pipe. Mate of mine has a gun I've used for diffs before but they're a pain.

Ford and the penrite website say dextron iii for the 4 speeds. Is this not correct?

I don't know which 4 speeds they are talking about, maybe in Mondeo, Ranger or something, but in the Falcon 4 speed autos you must use either Castrol TQ95 or Valvoline 95LE. Both brands are the same type of ATF specially designed for the BTR 91 or 95LE, hence why both have 95 in their name. Dextron can only be used in the old 3 speed Falcons. Much like the new 6 speed Falcon auto must use a specially designed oil, the 4 speed is the same. All Ford Falcon service manuals and Ford mechanics should tell you this.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Ford parts dept are useless then! I told them it was a ba xr6t and she said just put dextron iii in it!

I'll read his manual before I do it.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Went down to Repco today.

Apparently castrol discontinued the tq95.

Apparently tq-diii replaced it. But google tells me that is just dextron 3???????

Cheers for the help

mickey1010

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Falcon Futura & a VR flog bomb
That can't be right, there must be half a million or more Falcons running around with the BTR 4 speed in them, they all are going to need Tq-95 at some stage, I wouldn't be using anything else, the owners manual in my Ford even says this. I don't know if you have Supercheap Auto in NZ but you can pick up 4 litres of Tq-95 for around $40 here so surely it hasn't been discontinued. It has special anti-friction properties that other ATFs don't have. Go for the Valvoline 95LE instead if you can't get a hold of TQ-95.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Might have to go down to super cheap then. There website says they have it. Only 4l though. They got Valvoline in 4 and 1l though.

I thought it was weird that the packaging said nothing about it superseeding the tq95.

At least I checked before I put it in there.

Last edited:

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Thanks heaps for your help dude. Using the Valvoline stuff. Will do the job tomorrow.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Burn it :)

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Just wind him up that mines faster