Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Audio Upgrades for my VX Calais.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
You can just get 1 amplifier for both the subs, provided it is 1ohm stable and your subs are DVC4ohm or SVC2ohm

EDIT: Seeing as you want a PDX amplifier, you would be better with this one
http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=173
You can go two M6's if you want, its the much more expensive option, more wiring, more to install etc, I see no point.
One M12 is the way to go.

Callum14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
The amp is $517 off ebay delivered, and the subs are $422 for a pair delivered. Sub Box's are $220 all up so that's fine. I'll get 4 guage wire for power and ground, and 8 for the sub's? I'll pick it up from JayCar.

$1159 before the wire, which is fine. Will probably end up costing $1200-$1250 in the end which I'm fine with.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
What do you mean bridge the speakers? Bridging is a term used when you connect 2 channels from an amplifier together to form a single more powerful channel, it has nothing to do with speakers.

4 awg would be the miniumum you would want to use as a power cable, i don't know what your refference for 8 awg wire is for?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
8awg for the subs to the amp I believe, may as well do it, its overkill but nothing wrong with that, provided the amplifier and subs both support it (I know the older type-R's too, not sure about new ones)

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
yeah no i am wrong... cheers sweefu that made more sense as you talked in my terminology (which is also wrong)

yeah come to think of it my speaker aiming looks a little retarded, with like 30 degree angles on rear speaker mounts... lol oh well here to learn i am which is what i was asking HCVP...
basically from what you say i am being over anal in aiming my speakers and as hcvp said the sound deflects to the space anyway, so i have probs put an amp and two or three too many speakers into my recent projects... ffs oh well i swear they sounded clearer and better with them having awkward shaped speaker mounts in the parcel shelf and front volume on amps wound down and rears turned mid (on amp gain) took me ages to get them like that, and much trial and error.

i just bought a new vt to do up and sell on i will take this on board and start a thread with pics showing less anal speaker placement but i might stick to my amp set up ideals for now for setting center by levelling volume using amps rarther than aiming speakers AND aiming speakers :(... and sounds like it may be cheaper AND more effective... hmm

well ok than if what he said is what you were trying to say by reflection of sound (makes sense) then SOZ HCVP

"buries stupidity in dark corner of memory and moves on with more knowledge on the subject"

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
i dont use equalising units (including settings in stereo) except amp settings for sub etc
until i have set up the system to my needs and budget,
like putting a exhaust in a v8 but keeping the standard cam!~ i like to go further but not as far as to have
some competion system, i am a mechanic i'm not rich so i worked out a way to get great sound at less price(took 5 car sound systems to work it out, now i have done 11 cars since that as cashies and still works everytime just changes with body shape (above was my sedan method))

in my vt atm i have mainly alpine and mtx components... i only have 10 speakers atm with 3 amps and a tired altenator with a sony hu (its an average one but the police didnt like my old clarion twin din dvd one a few weeks back :( )...

Instead you waste money on 5 pairs of speakers, 4 of which you don't need. The bit in bold is your main issue. If you are into sound quality, then Alpine speakers really don't cut it.