Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australian mum faces jail over bar mat 'theft'

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Yeah I'm sick of hearing about idiot Aussies overseas as well.

No respect for laws or customs in other countries, act like total bogans and then complain to the embassy when they get slapped in jail.

I actively avoid australians when overseas, especially in Europe.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I am sick to death of morons going overseas and not knowing the extreme sentences for crimes and blatantly breaking the law, then expecting the Australian government to come get them out of the ****.

I will say that yes its a bit extreme, all this over taking a bar mat but stealing is stealing and if you make the police chase you, you arent going to get any favours.

I was saying the exact same thing to the missus last night. Tourists go overseas to places like Bali, Thailand etc, blatantly do something illegal, then cry scream and whinge whern they get thrown in jail. Then our government steps in to help (quite frankly stated by me) get CRIMINALS out of jail.

Everyone should know by now places like Bali, Thailand and other Asian countrys have extreme laws and sentances for such small crimes. If they let foreigners loose from jail after they have locked them up, their government see's it as a sign of weakness to other countries etc. They want to and will make an example of such people commiting such crimes.

Get caught will maybe a tiny little bit of Marijuana in Australia on a first offense, you will get a slap on the wrist (unfortunately) and a fine, in Bali or Thailand, get caught with the same amount, it's a jail term. If you don't know that by now, you are as thick as ****. Look at the Bali nine and Shappelle Corby. Theft is just as bad over there, especially when it's a foreigner that commited the crime in their country.

Sorry, i don't feel sorry for her, however, i do feel sorry for her kids and husband. It would be awful having your partner / mother locked up in jail in such a shitty country.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Streets would be quieter, but taxes would be higher. Not cheap to lock people up sadly, last I heard it costs something like $77,000 p.a to lock someone up. That's a decent wage right there. Welfare is cheaper :p

As I said, have jail systems that DO NOT reward you for being a criminal. Our jails rival 4 star motels for accommodation. Make the jails exactly like the Thai's and Balinese have. Make it so people DO NOT want to commit crimes.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I think this is how Australia needs to make their laws, we are far to lenient. Where does it stop, if your willing to knock off property from an establishment your willing to steal anything. Theft is theft, plain and simple.

Even the owner stated in an interview that normally they would catch the person and them return the property, this woman chose to run.

Imagine if this was the sort of punishment we would see here, along with similar jails where you do not get rewarded for being a crim, it would be a much better place.

****ing oath. I am all for extreme sentances on such crimes. Why do i say this? Because i don't do drugs, i don't steal, i don't break the law in such ways (yes i may have broken the speed limit a few times who hasn't, that's about the only thing i have done illegally besides downloading music and burning dvds), so i couldn't give a **** about anyone who suffers extreme punishment for these crimes.

If Krudd brought in extreme laws yes, it would cause an uproar from human rights groups and those kind of wankers, but it would also be one of the few good things he could do for this great country of ours which is slowly and surely turning to **** due to many things which we won't get into in this thread.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
firstly she was in thailand for her mothers 60th birthday and yeah she'd taken some friends with her.
secondly it was a prank gone bad. her so called "friends" put it in her handbag. she ran coz she believed she'd done nothing wrong. after she was arrested one of her friends went to the police and confessed and the cops told her to go away.
she was abusing/yelling at the cops becoz she was trying to get thru to them becoz they wouldnt listen to her.
yeah its a harsh punishment for something she didnt even do.

Come off it. Innocent people dont run. If she had done nothing wrong she wouldve simply said hello and not been the wiser, not take off down the beach on a evening marathon. I dont pass police on the street and instantly start running or driving faster.

death penalty is much cheaper imo, we should use it

Actually its not sadly. In America it actually costs 90,000 dollars MORE than a Life Sentence prisioner annually, costing about 200 grand. California alone it costs 137 million a year to keep its 670 odd inmates locked up awaiting death.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
As I said, have jail systems that DO NOT reward you for being a criminal. Our jails rival 4 star motels for accommodation. Make the jails exactly like the Thai's and Balinese have. Make it so people DO NOT want to commit crimes.

Between you and me, no worries, but all the human rights hippies tend to get arced up about people getting moldy bread and water and hung upside down in shackles :(

Politically unpopular too amongst a surprisingly large proportion of the population.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Yep, that euthanasia liquid is very expensive believe it or not. Not joking either. We stock the animal version at work which is basically just Phenobarbitone sodium (i work for a veterniary surgery wholesaler), and that stuff is expensive enough.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Yep, that euthanasia liquid is very expensive believe it or not. Not joking either. We stock the animal version at work which is basically just Phenobarbitone sodium (i work for a veterniary surgery wholesaler), and that stuff is expensive enough.

Bring back the guillotine! :)

No doubt someone would say they need a new blade each time to be sterile...

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Well they do have to use sterile needles and such when giving the lethal injection. Not like theyre going to die from an infection.

I went to Barwon Prison a few years back and seriously if I was ever homless, id go pretend to rob a bank or something. They get Nike shoes at massively discounted prices, they can buy playstations and tvs for their rooms and if you arent in there for going on a killing spree you can cook your own meals.

If anyone has watched America's Hardest Prisons on National Geographic or Discovery Channel, and then watched Australia's Hardest Prisons you would laugh.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Between you and me, no worries, but all the human rights hippies tend to get arced up about people getting moldy bread and water and hung upside down in shackles :(

Politically unpopular too amongst a surprisingly large proportion of the population.

Well yeah, the same demographic that sook when their benefits start to drop for doing nothing.

Simple fix, ban people voting if you are unemployed under 65 ;)