Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto-magic Headlights (surveilance mode)

Cav

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
cav.bigblog.com.au
Members Ride
VE II Omega Ute; Fairmont Ghia
Boys look at it from Holden's point of view....
How much has it cost Holden for callouts for flat batteries by drivers leaving their lights on?
I'd say the business case to auto headlights is to save on these callout costs.
The system also automatically turns off headlights even though the switch is set to on.
I guess an auto elec may be able to fix it for you if it really bugs you.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
You can have auto headlights, with a permanent manual over-ride whilst still having them automatically turn off when you turn the ignition off.

It's easily done, the VY was like that.

Yeah, the auto electrician is probably a good solution, though I don't know if I cbf.

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
Boys look at it from Holden's point of view....
How much has it cost Holden for callouts for flat batteries by drivers leaving their lights on?
I'd say the business case to auto headlights is to save on these callout costs.
The system also automatically turns off headlights even though the switch is set to on.
I guess an auto elec may be able to fix it for you if it really bugs you.

Sorry, I cant see that this is the case at all
It's not about the switch or the flat batteries - after all it is just software.

My 2004 chrysler is smart enough to turn the headlights off after 60 seconds if I leave them on and walk away - so does the wifes Mitsi 380 - so the reasoning that it saves on flat batteries is way off mark. In fact, if you want to preserve battery life then you wouldnt have them come on every time you start the car (I always remember my dads old VB 5.0Lt SL/E saying in the manual to turn the A/C and headlights OFF before starting or stopping the engine...)

Auto elec cant change it as it is software - sensor on dash under windscreen feeds signal to a computer. Same computer turns headlights on (as far as I can tell). Computer needs a software update to change sensitivity if other peoples posts are to be believed - therefore computer just needs a software change to be told NOT to use Auto headlights mode... only problem is that they removed the OFF position from the switch - so it would need to be in the EPMU menu for the trip computer or something?

392RWkwSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Holomatrix maybe you should go buy your dad VB SL/E and drive that. modern technology these days can cope with stresses suck as A/C or lights being on at startup. Do you really think that if the lights being on at startup was going to harm battery life holden would have their cars setup to do this? i dont.
modern technology these days is all about convenience. take the humble remote control for the TV. if it wasnt for this we would still have to get off the seat and change it at the tv.
or do you still do this too because your dads tv back in 1978 stated in its manual that thats how u change channels?
Your holden also switches its lights off after 30 seconds or so once the ignition is turned to the off position. and when it comes to dazzling oncoming drivers unless your SS-V wont come close to doing that. its lights are not bi-xenon lights like your chrysler and wont startle oncoming drivers.

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
Holomatrix maybe you should go buy your dad VB SL/E and drive that. modern technology these days can cope with stresses suck as A/C or lights being on at startup. Do you really think that if the lights being on at startup was going to harm battery life holden would have their cars setup to do this? i dont.
modern technology these days is all about convenience. take the humble remote control for the TV. if it wasnt for this we would still have to get off the seat and change it at the tv.
or do you still do this too because your dads tv back in 1978 stated in its manual that thats how u change channels?
Your holden also switches its lights off after 30 seconds or so once the ignition is turned to the off position. and when it comes to dazzling oncoming drivers unless your SS-V wont come close to doing that. its lights are not bi-xenon lights like your chrysler and wont startle oncoming drivers.

You have mis-read and/or misquoted mate.:bang: Crawl back under your rock and learn to actually read a full post, not just slag off at the last part of it because your beer was too warm because your 'shiela' didn't bring to you fast enough

Is not about battery life - is about the fact that headlights just turning on every farking time I start my car, even in full sunlight is a damn annoyance. Having to turn them off (or wait a few mins until the great god of holden decides its bright enough for me to drive without headlights) is a stupid pain in the @rse. I want to decide when my headlights go on or off - not have some idiot at Holden Marketing or idiot programmer in their ECU department decide for me.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Crikey! I reckon it's a great feature on the VE. My VE is garaged, the lights come on automatically and if I don't want them on it's a quick flick of the switch and presto there off.

No problems:thumbsup:

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
I think the auto-on feature was actually put into the VE for those complete idiots out there who are mentally incapable of noticing their headlights aren't switched on at 1am in the pitch black of night.

I don't have a problem with my lights going on during the day automatically. Have noticed that they turn on automatically when using the wipers for more than 10secs.

Like HunterSS mentioned... if they turn on for what ever reason and I want them off... it only takes a flick on the switch to change that for the duration of the ignition cycle. That's good enough for me.

That's my 2cents... hehe

bigfut

Ve Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega
I love the auto lights, I like the fact that when the wipers are on, the lights turn on too. Its just a safety thing. I, like most people, do not have an issue with flicking the off switch, if I really need to, which I hardly ever need to do. Falcons dont have the auto on thing, maybe thats the car for you? Also, dipped headlights dont dazzle, high beams do. Thats what dip is for.

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
I like the feature. Ha, I didn't know the headlights come on automatically when the windscreen wipers turn on (automatically). Auto everything I say !! What about auto seatbelt fasteners?.....mmn, then again I guess some people may what to turn the feature off and criticise Holden for wanting to save lives.