Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Transmission Service Guide – 4L60E

t00bs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
There's a much easier way to get these out with the trans still in the vehicle and without the risk of damaging it. You'll need a 15 mm x 250 mm length of threaded water pipe, another 15 x 100 mm length and a 90 deg threaded elbow. Screw them all together. Screw the long end into the rubber in the seal until it starts to bind. Gently bash on the other end with the side of a ball peen hammer until the seal pops out. You can pick it all up at Bunnings for around 10 bucks.

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
So, after a couple of hours trying to get the filter seal back in, i got the shits and hammered it into the concrete, i did feel much better afterwards lol.

Next time, ill just leave the damn thing in there.

Went to Repco and bought another kit. Then i realised, the filter kit I bought off ebay is not suited to the deep pan 4L60E transmission. There is a huge difference. The deep pan filter has a longer neck and on top of the filter it has raised areas to help collect the fluid. No wonder i couldnt just twist and push the bastard in. Lol.

The gearbox also had the wrong filter installed previously, shallow pan filter, not the deep pan.

A warning to anyone thats going to do this themselves, there is a difference between the 2.

Just as well i did stuff the seal and had to go buy another kit, otherwise I would not have known.

Ill upload some pics later, showing the difference between the pans and the 2 types of trans filters.

Cheers.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Hahaha thank you for the laugh VXS2, I know the feeling.
Hammer that ****** lol.

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Yeah the seal doesn't need to be changed imo only attempt to take it out if you have alot of time on your hands and you know what you're doing the way i got my seal out was by using the galvanised pipe trick where u screw the pipe into the seal then hammer on the elbow of the pipe and the seal pops right out then I found a perfect sized socket that had a very flat top so i put the extension through the opposite way then i taped electrical tape around it so the top of the socket would have and edge so that the seal doesn't move away and it worked perfect.

Gangey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Wagon
Thank you to everyone for your advice, heads-ups and additional information.
This is exactly the info I need right now.
Suspension is next ... cuppla days.
As an old fart who has created a lot of job specific items myself, the Universal Special Service Tool, for jobs like removal of the transmission filter seal, removing the sump plug for oil changes, and any other dirty bendy where's my beer instead type of job, (and I must admit they are a bit hard to keep in the toolbox these days because if you happen to find a good one everyone wants to ''borrow'' it) is called an Apprentice.
Cheers all.

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
Here is the 2 diff oil pans and filters for the 4L60E Auto . Make sure you get the right filter for your transmission.

The deep pan filter has the longer neck,,,on the right*
filters.jpg

pans.jpg

Last edited: