Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic boot lid

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Wouldn't have the torque to move the boot IMO.

tivoom

pimpin pizza wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Wagon
you could alway try a wagon tailgate set a tailgate aint light it might just work

impulsed_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
might look at gettin sumthing nuematic set up simply becasue if i get strongt gas struts it will be hader to close were as if it air i can open and close it

tivoom

pimpin pizza wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Wagon
fair point keeps as informed dont the new bmws ect have boots like the you press a button it fully opens then you press a button and it closes and locks

impulsed_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
aumting like this right its good also got a button to clsoe wich is very good idea wen i get home from tafe today ill reserch on nuematic rams or hydralic rams to push n pull and i will alsoe try find an old window reg cuz they are pretty strong on monstor grare they used 4 of them to push a bed tray with 400kg on it

Last edited by a moderator:

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
just remember if you put in a strut thats stronger than standard, the boot will seem heavier/ harder to close...
you also run the risk of bending the mounting brackets..

pneumatic wont work unless you plan on running a compressor... kinda silly just to open your boot imo
to do the job right will be some big $$$, and not just a couple of hundred...

one way to do it... have a timer thats started by a signal from the remote unlock, set to 5 seconds or so then after the 5 seconds the linear actuators operate to open the boot...
(5 seconds or so to allow the boot unlock mechanism to work).
then you would somehow have another button and receiver setup to tell the boot to close... you could use a seperate remote, like an aftermarket remote unlock setup to send the signal to open and close...

SMC linear actuators are around $740 each from RS

another way is to chuck in a decent spring

impulsed_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
yh fair call i contacted a wrecker to day and scored 2 woking power window componets for 25bux ea ill look at using this i rekong two will be able to gear it up and if the gear ratio need to be working i can machine neew gears as that part of my job

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Bloody hell mate, your going to a lot of trouble for a self-opening/closing boot.

impulsed_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
well if the windo regs wont do it i wont bother not worth it that much to me but if they work i got it for 50bux and it will be super kool n wat ill do is do a write up so other ppl can do it aswell

Pagan VZ owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore
Hi guys. I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd pop in a reply, hoping you see it.
My VZ berlina had a habit of dropping the boot on me with a bit of wind. After my last injury, I bought 2 new gas struts, as mine has a spoiler, I got the correct ones. Now my boot automatically opens when I push the button. & is super strong to push down. Now I have to remember to catch it when it opens