Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bad acceleration

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
hi guys, lately my car has been running like ****! its lost heaps of grunt, i give it some gas and it just doesn't respond. it revs out alot harder to.
Iv changed the plugs, leads, petrol filter, i run premium unleaded.

I just dont Know what else can cause this problem!
Can you give me suggestions on what it could be?

NKX

Reaction score
Could be a similar issue to me. I am now noticing that when I step on it, it revs up a bit, and sounds angry... but seems to develop no power anymore.

At 80km/h doing 1500rpm if you punch the accellerator beyond the magical 80% it drops back to third, revs up to about 3500rpm, labours for a couple of seconds, then accellerates sloely. Basically after a kick down, and a bit of a roar of the engine... after a couple of seconds I found myself doing 85km/h.... which seems to be a lot of noise to do next to nothing.

Recently had my car fully serviced including engine/auto flush/check/service (very expensive), and it made no difference. I though it may be the T/C but it handles revs nicely in lower gears etc.... but still less than normal.

Ideas... anyone?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Wouldn't be a blocked catalytic converter?

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Here are a few simple ideas, may not help but you never know.

1. Air filter? who knows, as it becomes blocked it effects the car at higher speed. Based on the fact that at 80Kph its still sucking a fair amount of air in, when you go past 80% throttel it may not be getting enough air so the ECU may adjust the fuel injection. Look at it this way, it'll only cost ya $30 if it is. Take the air filter out and go for a quick drive (not when its raining) and see if it helps. Dont drive with it out for long though.

2. Fuel filter could be blocked, allthough that would effect performance all round.

3. Check for any error codes in the ecu. that might give you an insite into whats causing it.

4. Heat issues? having any problems with overheating? The guage my be ****ed and showing a lower temp. long shot....

Not sure guys, they are just the basic cheap things that it could be. Its better to start at the simple things first. BTW i may be wrong and the above treatments are wrong, but its just an idea or two.

Cheers

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
yeah tahts the problem! it takes ages to kick in and it revs high without going anywhere!

we'll all the things you said above have been changed and checked exept the temp. my temp stays really low for a while. il be driving to work in the morning at after 10 min of driving it sits on cold or just above? is that normal... could it be the thermostat? im just guessing...

can any one else help me and my buddy out?

B

Benji...

I would be suspect of a fuel filter but i also am suspect of just crap fuel. I have found it alot lately with crap fuel coming from all the major players.

Premium will not always yeild best results unless the motor can utelise it best.

The new normal unleaded at Shell is now 95 RON and is going better in my ute than any other high yeild fuel so far and is good on range too.

S

Sirius096

feistl said:
Take the air filter out and go for a quick drive (not when its raining) and see if it helps. Dont drive with it out for long though.
If you do this, it's generally a good idea to put a stocking or something similar over the intake or top of the box (if you didn't put the lid back down). Just helps stopping dust/bugs/etc making their way in... :)

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
hey guys i found the problem. it was my coil pack. i had been meaning to change it cos i was getting misfire so i changed it today and it running like so much better and the acceleration is great. touch wood!!!