Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bad sound in vx commodore

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
When you have it checked, ask them to pull the belt. Leaving it on generates lots of other noises that make it harder to pin point the real problem.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx, vx supercharge both 2002 , ve 2007
When you have it checked, ask them to pull the belt. Leaving it on generates lots of other noises that make it harder to pin point the real problem.
we have had the belt off and the 2 mechanics i took it to said they have no idea but will try a different mechanic

Reactions: Lex
Reaction score
Members Ride
we have had the belt off and the 2 mechanics i took it to said they have no idea but will try a different mechanic
ive taken it to 3rd mechanic and while i was there i took the fan belt off infront of him and he said hey stop dont you want to take a photo for the configuration before you do that and i replied na i know it and he told me if i know so much why did i come there and must admit that i got shitty and put the belt back on and drove home as he said he dont know and that if i knew how to take the belt off maybe i should know. i feel a little cranky as i learnt the config of online its not like i know stuff i just learn it so if you or anyone could put there 2c worth in id really appreciate it as i dont know anything like he thinks please as my next thought is try drive this car 54km to nearest holden dealer and i know ppl will think why but it was my dads car that just passed so i want to keep the car alive so pls anyone say anything pls

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Hi Christine.
Firstly, sorry to hear about your Dad. Not a good time for you to be mucking about with your car.

I can imagine the 3rd mechanic's surprise when you whipped the belt off in front of him! Then to put it back right... (He was probably thinking of taking a picture so HE could remember).
Can you pinpoint where the noise comes from once the belt is off? It's ok to run it for a short time (idling only, not driving) with the belt off.

I do have a mate in Tathra if that's any help. He's pretty good with ecotech's (the engine in your Commy), having fitted a few to other makes, 4WD's etc.
If you like, I can contact him and see if he can help you?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Christine.
Firstly, sorry to hear about your Dad. Not a good time for you to be mucking about with your car.

I can imagine the 3rd mechanic's surprise when you whipped the belt off in front of him! Then to put it back right... (He was probably thinking of taking a picture so HE could remember).
Can you pinpoint where the noise comes from once the belt is off? It's ok to run it for a short time (idling only, not driving) with the belt off.

I do have a mate in Tathra if that's any help. He's pretty good with ecotech's (the engine in your Commy), having fitted a few to other makes, 4WD's etc.
Hi Mirrabucca
as far as i think it could be coming from harmonic balancer but im really not sure as its loud and sounds like it could be anywhere and yes please contact him

Reaction score
Members Ride
a
Hi Christine.

after you had said ecotech i realised my dads car is the same motor and my supercharged is just the same with a dam blower lol but im prob wrong dont quote me as dads is 2002 vx mine 2002 vx supercharged and boy have i had crank sensor probs with that one but do kno how to do them every like 12mths but with dads car its a sound ive never heard

Reaction score
Members Ride
a

after you had said ecotech i realised my dads car is the same motor and my supercharged is just the same with a dam blower lol but im prob wrong dont quote me as dads is 2002 vx mine 2002 vx supercharged and boy have i had crank sensor probs with that one but do kno how to do them every like 12mths but with dads car its a sound ive never heard
i also want to pass my number or address to ya mate

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Where are you buying your crank sensors from? You need a gen GM OEM one and AC Delco are the only OEM available.

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
You said "i have checked that the hamonic balencer was tight and not loose..." The balancers are apparently put on with no lubricant and the way they fit they're usually really tight and a near nightmare to get off. Have a look at the rubber on the front around the inner and outer edges - if it has small cracks in it it's on its way out. If the rubber splits, you'll notice it as it flaps around and causes a racket.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think it's time to upload a Youtube vid. I can tell if a balancer is buggard from a decent Youtube vid.