Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ballzups VH SL/E Restoration. (Valentine)

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 202 Auto NOS Rat Rod Wagon
Great read. About to start doing my own very soon. Keep the photos coming :)

Other than the heater box (which I removed with a big hammer) was there anything else you found to be a big drama?

Ballzup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1984
Great read. About to start doing my own very soon. Keep the photos coming :)

Other than the heater box (which I removed with a big hammer) was there anything else you found to be a big drama?

I really struggled getting the dash/crash pad out. That was partially because of the heater box though. It's bolted to the firewall just under the windscreen but the brackets on the firewall aren't complete. So if you cant get to the bolt under the dash with enough force you can actually just pull it out. Just keep it as horizontal as you can.

I also struggled getting the master cylinder out. By that I mean it came out with the right manoeuvring but it took a fair bit of pressure against the paint in the engine bay. Not sure how I'm going to get it back in without scratching my new paint. Perhaps a smaller replacement?

Last edited:

Ballzup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1984
Are you keeping the engine relatively standard or are you going to do some engine mods? A mate of mine changed his VH SLE motor to a black VK EFI rebuilt/refurbished motor (I think he bought it via REPCO...warranty, the works). I believe (haven't seen him in a while, he's OS atm) he did do some work on the head to give the black motor a bit more oomph. His car was also a family hand-me-down and it was immaculate apart from some of the rotten door dings that all Commodores seem to get if they visit a shopping centre. He had the dings taken out by a PDR guy and the car just looks great. It has that metallic blue colour that's just a shade darker that the VC "Atlantis blue" colour.

BTW...he bought one of those retro radio head units from Ebay. Had it fitted by a proper installer and it works a treat...bluetooth and all.
P.S. I HATE door dings!!! I wish some people (especially women...sorry ladies...) would just be a touch more considerate.

Haha, yeah Valentine will never go to a shopping centre.

I'll be doing a bit of engine work but nothing extreme. I just want it to be more responsive. Have no plans on doing 200km down the Hume lol. My Brother in law is my engine guy. I know very little about them. he's going to help be pull it apart and teach me along the way and I'll send it off for some machining, new rings so it can use current fuel etc.

When I know exactly what we're doing I'll update here.

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
if you like the power of a modern commodore don't think a VK EFI is going to get close to that the 1965 engine design along with a set of analog timers and a distributor was pretty much out of date in 1985 I used to think the vk efi went all right until I owned one. They are slow and thirsty don't bother with the vk efi system

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I love this, I always wanted a blue over silver VH but could never afford it. Now they are back at the never can afford it stage, doh.

Ballzup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1984
Yeah I've been pretty fortunate. When i bought it I paid $3500 but it was in pretty poor condition. I kinda hate that it will eventually appreciate in value as I'll never sell it.

Its more of a liability than an asset haha.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I also struggled getting the master cylinder out. By that I mean it came out with the right manoeuvring but it took a fair bit of pressure against the paint in the engine bay. Not sure how I'm going to get it back in without scratching my new paint. Perhaps a smaller replacement?

To put the master back in, remove the booster and bolt the master to it.....Then put the 2 in as 1 item....

Ballzup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1984
Ahh sorry. I should clarify. (Confirming my lack of knowledge about cars.) I meant the booster. That was a struggle to remove without rubbing on the paint.

Master cylinder was easy

but thanks!