Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Banning the American Pitbull: Whats your thoughts?

C

CHA55A

Hello everyone.

With the recent plan by the govt. to ban the American Pitbull, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this topic.

Me personally, Im a big fan of the APBT (american pit bull terrier), I've bred a couple of litters and never had any issues or problems with them.

Unfortunately, they have been under some negative press and I understand the reasons why but, personally, I dont lay the blame on the dogs, but rather the owner.

My guess is that once the law is introduced, things will get worse as the breeding and selling will move underground causing more problems.

C

CHA55A

Here's a few dogs Ive raised and owned over the years.

DSC02939.jpg

DSC02955.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00725.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

DSC02884.jpg

Snowfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
We have had some pretty horrific dog attacks here, on people and other dogs. Some by the pitbulls and some by various other breeds. I would need to know more about it to make an informed opinion but I think its the owners more than the dogs. Look at people and how their upbringing/experiences can partially determine their behaviour/tendencies as an adult.

Nice pics btw.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I think it is the owners fault for any action the dog makes, many owners train these dogs to be savage. These people should be banned from owning any type of animal. But in saying that I do think it is a positive step in banning these dogs, the reason I say this is because they are quite often the culprit of many savage dog attacks. Ideally people would be allowed to have these dogs and everyone would take due care with them, but unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world and there are some irresponsible idiots out there.

So if this law stops those idiots from being able to own one of these dogs thats less chance my daughter is going to be mauled to death on her way to school then as far as I'm concerned its a good thing. Yeah its tough on those that do the right thing, but thats the way our world works, everyone suffers because of a few bad apples. I absolutely agree about the comment about their breeding going underground though which is a terrible shame.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Is this breed not savage by nature? A breeder can train a dog not to attack etc, but in a situation when the dog feels threatened or it's natural instincts kick in, the dog will attack.

I don't feel any animal that can attack and savage a human should be allowed in a domestic situation, be it a Pitt Bull or a Tiger.

C.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I think that a lot of dogs have savage in their nature, even some of the less likely ones. Some of the most savage dogs I have come across are the small yappy ones lol, even been biten by a bloody jack russell once. :mad:

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Julie said:
I think that a lot of dogs have savage in their nature, even some of the less likely ones. Some of the most savage dogs I have come across are the small yappy ones lol, even been biten by a bloody jack russell once. :mad:

Agreed Julie, but some breeds don't just bite and growl, they are killers and savage their prey. Once they are in the attack mode they just keep going and you can't call them off.

It's a hard call because there are some responsible breeders of the APBT and similar breeds, but then there are those idiots that just have one or two to protect their property and these are the ones that sometimes get out into the public and go ape.

C.

semmi

Reaction score
Julie said:

as the owner of a jack russell i'd have to agree with Julie, they can get pretty vicious when provoked! but at the same time an angry jack russell is less likely to cause serious damage than an angry APBT... but it's not the dog's fault that it's a certain type of breed, it's the fault of owners who encourage aggressive behaviour in their dogs.

i agree with the comments that it's mainly a few bad eggs are ruining it for everyone else. unfortunately ABPT's seem more likely to attract a certain type of owner - not to say that all or even a majority of ABPT owners are like this, far from it, but it just seems there are more of them than other breeds.

it's a shame it's come to this as i have a mate with an APBT and it's a lovely dog, it probably has a vicious streak but my mate keeps it well controlled and it's never allowed in a situation where it could harm anyone and agressive behaviour is never encouraged. at the moment as far as i'm aware there's not been any calls to change the law in victoria, but as my mate says it's probably only a matter of time.

ok, think i've said enough! :ranting:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
One point to note though, is that a Jack Russell doesn't have the strength to take chunks of flesh out of you. If a Jack jumped at me I'd kick it in the head, pick it up and throw it over a fence.

But I'd have a little more trouble with a Pitbull, muscly bastards.