Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Basics for a newbie

PoisonBerryVS

Eat Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim wagon
Hey guys,

While always interested in Holdens, I really know jack**** about anything technical related (to cars in general)

I previously owned a VS wagon that was a gem to me for 8 years. Died at 460,000 due to my poor maintenance and understanding

I just bought a 2000 VX wagon acclaim with 120,000 on it.

I plan to look after this, do it up and keep for a minimum 10 years.

Where should a newbie like me start to learn how to maintain and look after my baby?
Theres some obvious things I know, checking coolant and oil

But please list anything as basic as it may seem to you that I can do from home without any major fancy tools (even listed basic car tools to own would help!)

I didnt grow up in a motor understanding family lol

Thank you guys!

Last edited:

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
First place to start is your owners manual. Read the recommended maintenance schedule supplied by Holden and go from there.
Rotate tyres at least every 10,000km, check your oils, coolant and brake fluid levels regularly, change your engine oil and filter every 10,000k's when you rotate your tyres.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If you are a member of the RACV, get them to do an unbiased mechanical check, rather than somebody who just wants to replace stuff at your cost.
Things like brake pads, suspension bushes, steering, exhaust leaks ..... stuff that will get your car back to scratch, then as above, go from there as per owners manual.
A VS with 460K ??. Not a bad innings.

PoisonBerryVS

Eat Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim wagon
Thanks for the help guys!

My ignorance never thought to check out a manual LOL
So much info, got plenty to learn just from this

PoisonBerryVS

Eat Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim wagon
If you are a member of the RACV, get them to do an unbiased mechanical check, rather than somebody who just wants to replace stuff at your cost.
Things like brake pads, suspension bushes, steering, exhaust leaks ..... stuff that will get your car back to scratch, then as above, go from there as per owners manual.
A VS with 460K ??. Not a bad innings.

God bless my VS.
Was a very very sad day, but a triumphant one nonetheless. Trying to make the spirit of tasmania in 4 hours with a blown head gasket. It made it (going 40km max, refill radiator every 15 mins).. and died right at the gate to board. RIP

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you can learn how to change the oil and filter it would be a real bonus. Then things like changing the fan belt and water pump are not far beyond that.
Have you got any friends who do their own work and know what they're doing that can teach you?

PoisonBerryVS

Eat Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim wagon
If you can learn how to change the oil and filter it would be a real bonus. Then things like changing the fan belt and water pump are not far beyond that.
Have you got any friends who do their own work and know what they're doing that can teach you?

Yeh had a $180 service today for just oil and filter change.. all them labour costs

Me and my mates are all holden fans but not the most efficient home mechanics. So they understand some stuff but down to the practical side is not the best.
But we have ability to learn

Thanks for the feedback man

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sheesh if you did your own oil change on an Ecotec it would cost about $50.
Have you got a socket set? If you are going to learn how to service a commodore you will want a 1/2 inch socket set. Keep a look out for big sales at supercheap like 40% off or half price tools etc.

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
How about you and your mates getting together and buying some simple gear - such as
Trolly jack - the bigger the better
Axle stands
Ramps
Oil filter wrench

I have been servicing my own cars for years (cos I am a tightarse and detest getting ripped of by Holdem dealers) - we have 4 between us and guess who gets to look after them !

A good place to start is the Haynes manuals, which show you how to do most things ! Understand you can get on line versions now.

PoisonBerryVS

Eat Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim wagon
Sheesh if you did your own oil change on an Ecotec it would cost about $50.
Have you got a socket set? If you are going to learn how to service a commodore you will want a 1/2 inch socket set. Keep a look out for big sales at supercheap like 40% off or half price tools etc.
Feelin that bro. Was a mate of a mate mechanic as well...
Cheers for that man, will definitely sus out some tools now and get into the basics