Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

battery to boot whats involved

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
But under the car it's gonna get hit by crap on the road which gets flung up from ya wheels, and it's open to the elements.....bad idea IMO, much safer in the vehicle. It's no different to running a stereo cable to the back of ya car.

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
but as for whats required you;ll need enough wire to run from you current battery location to the boot, i use zero guage but 2 or 4 gauge is fine, just increase the cca rating of you battery to reduce voltage drop.

Increasing the cca rating of the battery won't do anything to reduce the voltage drop. 12v is 12v. You could put a truck battery in there but if its 12v you'll get just as much voltage drop as you will from a motorbike battery. It just means you can crank for longer before the battery goes flat. Which means if you run a lighter cable it'll get even hotter, and thats not a thing.

Run the heaviest cable you can afford. Running multiple cables like danny did is a good idea.
I'd also recommend running an earth cable to the front of the vehicle as well, as you can get voltage drop through the vehicle.

v8commie

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0 efi
But under the car it's gonna get hit by crap on the road which gets flung up from ya wheels, and it's open to the elements.....bad idea IMO, much safer in the vehicle. It's no different to running a stereo cable to the back of ya car.

yeh i suppose

v8commie

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0 efi
Increasing the cca rating of the battery won't do anything to reduce the voltage drop. 12v is 12v. You could put a truck battery in there but if its 12v you'll get just as much voltage drop as you will from a motorbike battery. It just means you can crank for longer before the battery goes flat. Which means if you run a lighter cable it'll get even hotter, and thats not a thing.

Run the heaviest cable you can afford. Running multiple cables like danny did is a good idea.
I'd also recommend running an earth cable to the front of the vehicle as well, as you can get voltage drop through the vehicle.

yeh true thinking of running the 3 2 guage pos and a 0 guage to the front for the neg + a few like danny to the rear for neg but i dont like the idea of running it indside the car but gonna have to but i was thinking of running it above the tail shaft in that tunnel

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
If you wanna do it under the car,

paint a garden hose black,
thread cable through garden hose,
and use hose fixings to the under side of the floor,
Be sure to check where the screw will come through the floor above...

v8commie

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0 efi
If you wanna do it under the car,

paint a garden hose black,
thread cable through garden hose,
and use hose fixings to the under side of the floor,
Be sure to check where the screw will come through the floor above...

yh might do it like that but was thinking of using pvc piping instead of garden hose also ill try to find another way of mounting the piping without screws

kimaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore SLE
Whats the storey with the vent pipe? Where do people run it to so the battery can breath?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
You'll be drilling holes to put the mounting bolts for the box, so just drill another smaller one and run the tube through there.

goodie78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 304 / VE SS Manual LPG
yeh but id rather run it somewhere on the passenger side (away from fuel) and underneath so if anything was to happen it wouldnt be inside

Interesting thread - something I'm interested in doing. Think I'm with you v8commie, would rather run it underneath the car in some good quality conduit. From memory, there is more room to work on the passenger side as all the brake and fuel lines run down the drivers side.

The VE battery cables run inside the car (think it's the drives side) inside the floor sill / kick panels. From what I have read it contributes largely to the interference you can get through the car audio once you do upgrades (I put an amp and 6x9's in and learnt a few things).

Happy driving!