Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BCM or the Key Fob?

whatmeworry41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Hi Guys, Long Time Lurker, First time Poster.

Last week my VT wouldn't start. RACV guy said the immobiliser was still on and was not letting the car start. Locksmith said he could make a new key but wouldn't know if the BCM was the problem?

Ok the key has been dead for a while. So what are my options, do I get a new key and hope it's not the BCM or get a new BCM installed and then get a tech/locksmith make/program a new key?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s possible the key has corrupted data.

It doesn’t matter if it’s flat. The key is supplied it’s 3V via the slip ring around the lock.

Swapping out the BCM on nothing more than a guess is called losing the parts canon. This canon is an expensive one.

It will easily not be the BCM as well. It could be a loose pin in a plug, it could be a chaffed wire, it could be a the neutral saftey switch. It could be a relay. It could be a faulty ignition circuit.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Is it a Genuine Key ? You will need to crack it open to replace the Battery, and then purchase a A/M shell to enclose it,

Is it a Genuine Key in a A/M Shell, If so, you could replace the battery,

Is it the Original Key Head, or a S/H one ? as they can only be programmed to each car.

That could stop it from starting,
but its a starting point to get the Key Working, to see if the Key circuit board is the issue.

That said, are you able to get it scanned?, and they may indicate what is causing this malfunction, being a DTC that you can not see.
What area are you located in Melbourne ?.
And being 112, would be a worry driving. :D

Last edited:

whatmeworry41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Thanks for the replies. I am in Footscray.

It is a Genuine Key in a A/M Shell. The battery went dead years. I replaced the shell a decade or so ago. I tried changing the battery but could still only open the car manually.

Last Wednesday the screws started falling out of the fob. I tried screwing it back in but it kept falling out. So I superglued the shell... I am now hoping that didn't f up the circuit board. Although the battery contacts inside are stuffed.

So I tried a locksmith, he said can make a new key. He put it a machine so i assume he scanned it? However he said he couldn't gurantee it wasn't the bcm or something else. He quoted roughly $280-300 to come out and make a new key.

So I called around and was told to call an auto locksmith and they told me to call a auto elect. One auto elect said he can't come out till next week. The other said I needed to get a tow to his workshop... FFS

+

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The sun sensor in the centre of the windscreen (the flat panel in the middle) is the infrared receiver for the remote unlock. They can become faulty.

whatmeworry41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
I still get a temp reading for outside.

A mechanic I know, says it is most likely the key, then the BCM and a long shot the key reader.

First will be getting the key redone. Then if that doesn't fix the problem, get the auto elect involved.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is no reader on the VT-VZ. VE has a key reader/ transponder reader.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I still get a temp reading for outside.

A mechanic I know, says it is most likely the key, then the BCM and a long shot the key reader.

First will be getting the key redone. Then if that doesn't fix the problem, get the auto elect involved.
Bear in mind they are guesses, not data based diagnosis and until waveform data is gathered everything is a guess.