Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Before I scrap the car!

Terrystatesman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Chevrolet Caprice (WK Statesman)
Hi Guys.

I am pretty desperate, and I have searched lots of posts, but nothing matches my problem. Dealer and garage are stumped, but they have not replaced much!

The car gives a really bad rear end shake when under acceleration, going through 40 kph. The harder the acceleration, the worse the shake. Once past 40 kph, there is no appreciable vibration, nothing drastic.

This only started happening after having the tail shaft centre bearing and rear engine/gearbox mount replaced. I had previously had the centre bearing replaced, but it only lasted a few weeks before breaking up again! I had noticed that the tail shaft was not sitting central in the centre bearing, but it is now, after having the rear gearbox mount replaced, but now I have the shakes (no, not self induced, lol!).

Anyway, unless anyone has some ideas, I am thinking of having the diff mount rubber replaced, but not sure if that would achieve anything!

It has actually suddenly become a lot worse. Yesterday, I had an accident. I had a left hand rear blow out, at 150 kph, and ended up going off road for a few hundred yards, spinning 4 times before finally coming to rest. Thought I was going to die! Scary! I have had a good look underneath, and cannot see anything amiss, nothing bent or broken. The 40 kph shake is definitely worse than it used to be, since the off road excursion, but something else is now happening. I can be driving merrily along at 100-120 kph, and then suddenly the steering wheel starts shaking. I have to slow down and stop. But when I then pull away agin, the 40 kph shake is bad, but the wheel shake disappears. I think the car is possessed!

Anyway, unless I can get some helpful suggestions, the car will be going to the scrappy in the next few weeks! As I am in Oman, I am unable to get any major spares for the car. I can get new parts, but have been quoted 2,500 $AU for a tail shaft, and 5,500 $AU for a diff!

Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Terry

Terrystatesman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Chevrolet Caprice (WK Statesman)
That car is cursed. Scrap it.

Yeah mate.

Give it it's dues though? It saved my life eh? What other car would have survived such a crash?

I had forgotten to add that it tried twice to flip over, up on 2 wheels, but I guess it was too heavy?

Anyone else had that sort of experience with a Commodore/Statesman/Caprice not wanting to flip over? It should have!

Terry

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Have you checked for slop in the wheel bearings and all the bushings? (Bushes are cheap as chips to replace) your symptoms sound like they possibly didn't scribe the the tail shaft when they removed it so perhaps it just needs to be put back 180 degrees sounds like 40kph is your resonate frequency for the tail shaft vibration and again at 120 (this is also typical sign of wheels out of balance, perhaps uve lost some wheel weights) I would really be going over the car with a fine toothed comb before scrapage

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
the Sultanate of Oman (Arabic: سلطنة عُمان‎ Salṭanat ʻUmān), is an Arab state in southwest Asia on the southeast coast of the Arabian Peninsula.

you may be able to sell some parts of that car ...if you have time ... as it is an import to your country .. you may do well

the prices of new parts quoted to you ..... are well over australian prices

what you are describing about the cars condition before the crash and after

don't try and get it back on the road ..these chassis /suspensions don't fix easily

Last edited:

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
possibly didn't scribe the the tail shaft when they removed it so perhaps it just needs to be put back 180 degrees sounds

THIS, or the tail shaft wasn't marked and put back together to keep the weights in the right spot when the centre bearing was replaced (cant remember what a VT shaft is setup like).

What actually shakes?
If the car shakes its more likely a Wheel/suspension issue. If the Shifter (auto?) shakes then think Tail shaft. If the steering wheel shakes then things front wheels/bearings/suspension.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Have you checked the speed rating of your tyres?
The fact you've just had a blow out at 150kph....and the symptoms you're having.....they point to the tyres possibly being over stressed.
Maybe they are delaminating.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'd agree with bowen. When doing a centre bearing, the CV joint has to be put back in the same position on the splines as it came off, and the two halves of the shaft have to be lined up again in the same original position.

Sounds like the tail shaft is out of balance.