Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best headlight globes for Calais?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
The globes in my wagon are a bot dim, and fairly yellow…. I think they need to be changed.

What are the best options?

I want something that throws good light onto the road, but not a HID/ LED type set up, or bright white……. Just a practical solution.

Cheers!

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
The globes in my wagon are a bot dim, and fairly yellow…. I think they need to be changed.

What are the best options?

I want something that throws good light onto the road, but not a HID/ LED type set up, or bright white……. Just a practical solution.

Cheers!

Most of those "uprated" halogen options (Osram Nightbreakers or similar) are good in terms of light output - if you absolutely hate going the HID/ LED route. But they have a much shorter lifespan. And I assume you know how much of a pain in the butt it is to swap the lowbeam globes on the VF Commodore/ Calais. Do not take the high power halogen route (90W, 100W etc.) because you run the risk of melting the headlight internals due to heat.

After trying a few of the halogen upgrades and a few "1 million Lumen" LED kits, I am on an HID kit off the eBay (Link) and I could not be happier.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Most of those "uprated" halogen options (Osram Nightbreakers or similar) are good in terms of light output - if you absolutely hate going the HID/ LED route. But they have a much shorter lifespan. And I assume you know how much of a pain in the butt it is to swap the lowbeam globes on the VF Commodore/ Calais. Do not take the high power halogen route (90W, 100W etc.) because you run the risk of melting the headlight internals due to heat.

After trying a few of the halogen upgrades and a few "1 million Lumen" LED kits, I am on an HID kit off the eBay (Link) and I could not be happier.
Cheers.

The HID kits are technically illegal army aren’t they?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Cheers.

Technically, yes! But they are a great upgrade, and the linked seller above supplies a great kit.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Cheers.

Technically yes

But you'd have to be unlucky for a cop to pull you over and ding you for them. Put it this way, you'd just blend in now with all the stupid SUV's and 4x4's with the same setup

Frankly, the amount of times I have some flog in a jacked up SUV or 4x4 blasting my mirrors and blinding me with their lights they can shove their ADR's up their tailpipe. But I also know that won't be a legal excuse :)

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don’t want to blind others, probably just want the best halogen globes

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

The projectors in the vf are pretty good for not blinding others.
Over the years i had used hid and led in them and they were ok.

Some halogens i used on the ve non projectors were the narva arctic series(the dark blue ones) and they were ok.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
You wont blind anyone with HID's in the Calais.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Black Edition V8
...and you don't blind anyone with leds as long as you adjust your headlights after fitment. I have a full led upgrade in mine and never get flashed by oncoming traffic

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Anyone recommend a good led for VZ SS? I got one in mine at the moment and the fan noise is very loud and annoying