Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best oil from now

Brett61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Hi All, I am sure there are numerous post re 3.8 oil change, however my question to anyone that can help is that I had a gem engine installed in to my 2000 VT Wagon approximately 14mths ago it has done 5,000km and up to now looked after by the installer.So now warranty has expired and I’m keen to find out what the best oil / filter might be moving forward as well as intervals.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers Brett

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Penrite

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What oil did they recommend?

10w-30 or 10w-40 is the normal recommendation. I prefer a oil with zddp (zinc) like you'll find in a lot of the Penrite oil recommended for these engines.

I like Ryco filters and normally do 10k oil changes.

Brett61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
What oil did they recommend?

10w-30 or 10w-40 is the normal recommendation. I prefer a oil with zddp (zinc) like you'll find in a lot of the Penrite oil recommended for these engines.

I like Ryco filters and normally do 10k oil changes.
Hey

cheers for the help, no specific recommendations have been made. I did actually use 10w-30 in the previous engine, may I ask re intervals it does do a lot of stop / start and short runs between jobs 2-5 kms

cheers
Brett

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Short stints is bad for the oil, you really need to get the oil hot so it can burn off the contaminants that build up in the crank case. If that is all you do than shorter intervals on the oil changes is probably a good idea. How short?

If no recommendation then go with what the original factory recommendation is. (10w-30 or 10w-40 IIRc)