Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Tow bar Hitch Lock? VF commodore

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
What sort of Tow Bar you talking about ?
The Locking device your talking about may not suit your Towbar,
There is SO MANY on the market, would you care to share some Photo's ?

For my VE2, I have 2100KG Hitch/Towbar,
and for my "Rear End Collision Safety Device" "Rear End Nudge Device" [Towbar], [Best insurance I have had for ALL My Cars]
I drilled the Hitch Pin out, and placed a "Decent Lockwood Padlock" through it. [as per attachments]
And placed the Key in the Glovebox.

PS: The same Lock has been utilised on at least 5 Commodore Wagons that I can remember, VN2, VS2, VX2, VE1 & VE2.

PSS: Dont use a "Toy" Pad Lock !

Attachments

• Towbar Locking Device 01.jpg
    Towbar Locking Device 01.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 158
  • Towbar Locking Device 02.jpg
    Towbar Locking Device 02.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Are you wanting to totally stop anyone from taking it off ever or do you want to be able to take it off when your not using it and slow down any one else hell bent on swiping it?

If its the latter go the trailer lock you gave as an example. I’ve sold plenty of the exact thing with someone else's home brand label many times and had no complaints or returns.

If you want the former. When I worked at a bolt shop and people would ask for such a thing we’d offer them a 12.9 grade bolt and nut, with red thread locker. It will be on there for good. You will need heat to remove the thing.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
My the world has changed.... When I was a kid, everyone left money out for the milkman, in the empty milk bottles left in front of their homes. The milkman would take the money and leave fresh full cream milk for your days needs.

Now we need locks or lock-tighted bolts to stop people pinching our tow bar tongue, have poor court punishment dished out to thieves and yet we have 1000 different types of milks (few that are real full cream)... Some advancement :eek:

[/old man rant]

vfchris

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais v
thankyou all, i will give the hayman reese a go. i read somewhere that the pin can be smaller than the original, creating a little bit of movement. Will let you know how it goes

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
thankyou all, i will give the hayman reese a go. i read somewhere that the pin can be smaller than the original, creating a little bit of movement. Will let you know how it goes

FYI: If the pin is a bit smaller, it could cause an annoying rattle of the towbar tongue, laden or unladen.
Keeping in mind if your Vehicle is still under new Car Warranty,
you maybe required to obtain OEM Parts to uphold you New Car Warranty.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Keeping in mind if your Vehicle is still under new Car Warranty,
you maybe required to obtain OEM Parts to uphold you New Car Warranty.
Not really. This would mean no one could put an aftermarket bar on their cars. The op also hasn’t stated if its a holden bar.

If anything goes wrong, and the manufacturer of the bar can prove it was the fault of an aftermarket part, warranty work would have to go through the pin sellers processes. Does not void the warranty on the whole bar. Or the cars warranty if it a case of oem bar fitted at factory.

For the pin, as I eluded to in my earlier post, it a case of only a few manufacturers supplying a whole heap of sellers anyway.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not really. This would mean no one could put an aftermarket bar on their cars. The op also hasn’t stated if its a holden bar.

If anything goes wrong, and the manufacturer of the bar can prove it was the fault of an aftermarket part, warranty work would have to go through the pin sellers processes. Does not void the warranty on the whole bar. Or the cars warranty if it a case of oem bar fitted at factory.

For the pin, as I eluded to in my earlier post, it a case of only a few manufacturers supplying a whole heap of sellers anyway.

I did say “maybe required”

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
A pin with a hole in it will allow you to put a much higher security lock on rather than the flimsy lock that is shown on the SCA pin.
My pick of the locks (sorry for that pun...) would be a Master lock with rubber hide and long shackle. For the fussy, the rubber or PVC hide can be changed to a colour of your choice.

But... has anybody actually seen or heard of a tow bar being flitched? How? Surely there is effort needed to coerce the thing out!
I could never get the towbar proper off the VZ I owned as it had a bolt on the base that had been welded in place! It was a convenient 'bumper' for cars behind me that dared to get too close...