Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big end problems. Advice on what to do.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I think I would need more than 23 N.M of torque to bend a Cromemoly pushrod :p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Pull the push rod out and check for damage on the tip. It should be ok but it pays to be careful.

Some of the push rods will seem a little loose as the lifters aren't really pumped up yet so it's only the little spring inside the lifter that is holding up the push rod cup. Even some of mine were a little loose and the car had been driven 2hrs before when I changed my rockers although I think some of my lifters have probably seen better days :(

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So I fired her up today, except for one small problem where I had forgotten to tighten the water pump bolt and the pulley went flying off :( she fired up OK.

And the sound is still there. #### a duck.

So now my holidays are over and my car is still not working, I'm going to go shed some man tears.

The sound is like a low rubbing metal noise at idle and that loud tapping sound at revs so I'm going to say the bearing is shot. Maybe not turned, because the oil pressure is still fine.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
What do the push rod cups look like on the rockers?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Normal. Slightly rubbed in the middle but no excessive wear.

All the rockers filled up with oil pretty fast when I turned it on.

I'm going to go talk to an engine builder and see what this may cost me. Still holding out for a cam bearing. At least the lifters are new if they do regrind the cam, or if I just get a new one from MACE.

Just co-incidental that I convinced my parents to buy a new car, so I can drive their old VY.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Just had an engine builder come out to my house to listen to it. Very nice of him.

He thinks its piston slap, probably from that time when I drove it without my radiator cap (worst accidental mistake ever), so he thinks the motors cooked.

#### a duck twice.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
ouch man thats unlucky... hope it doesnt cost you an arm and a leg to fix

This damn engine has already cost me an arm and a leg, now its after my other limbs and probably my nuts.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Any update on this?

browny888

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy equipe v6
Mate I'm not saying that it doesn't have a problem but it sounds like what a lot of people call "ecotec knock", mine has the same noise and has had it for 2.5 years, some people say that bigger cams cause it and some people say other reasons, I have changed everything in mine, including 4 sets of lifters and 3 sets of pushrods. The car still drives great "apart from the noise giving me the s***s. I like to rev mine to and it has never let me down, made 165rwkw n/a and now makes almost 250rwkw with a side mount supercharger, bottom end is still standard and it still goes strong.

I'm not saying mine is the same as yours at all but I have heard of a lot of people who waste thousands on rebuilds only to start the engine and the noise still be there. Hope this helps mate