Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big trouble i think

P

petesvns

ok iv just gotten back from drivein across brissy city i live on the north side ok i was on a 2 lane local road there was some old bastard sittin on like 30ks an hours so i overtook him put me foot down got it up to about 90 then let it slow down buy itself without useing the brake then at about 80 i got this big vibration in the steering, steering wheel moved about 1-2cm each way when it was goin straight now can it be my wheel balance is off the only thing that cuts that out is that i only just got new dunlop SP 300 sports on the frount and had a wheel alighnment and balance on it bout a month ago so if anyone has any idea PLEASE TELL ME lol. ohh and that knock is still in it turns out to be the shockie but not replacing it not until the new VS senator rims turn up and i get it lowered and stiffened a bit more could this be the problem??

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Does your steering feel loose. Do you mean you can turn the steering wheel 1-2cm each way of there is 1-2cm movement in the steering column?
Maybe it was a co-incidence that something let go as you were overtaking too. A wheel balancer wieght may have fallen off in the process.

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

P

petesvns

nahh i mean just goin in a stright line i felt somethin funny in the wheel and the steeing so i let go of the wheel and it moved 1-2cm each way by it self when it was slowin down any ideas??

R

rattattack1313

hmmm

hmmmm..........don't know, but it MIGHT be the rubbers on the gearbox/transmission brace, under the car... my VPeee usedta do it all the time, and when i was getting a new tranny put in, the bloke rang me and told me mine was fugged...... $45 fer a new one, while the tranny was out.....
now...heaps less shuddering in the front( i wont say its all gone, but its tolerable ...)......it was the motor and gearbox/tranny swaying , front to back, as i slowed down, whether under brakes or not......scary fer a while...
but, as i said...mostly gone now.....

Bomn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
You answered your own question when you said the shock absorber is no good.

You can get a vibration in the steering that is quite violent and is caused by the wheel bouncing up and down due to the dud shocky.

The strange part is that it will probably only happen in the same place at the same speed.

P

petesvns

pok let me set this stright when it does do it the wheel goes < > that way not ^ v at about 5times per second (bloody quick in otherwords) and does it anywhere if im slowing down fast or slow from around 100ks down wont do it under 30ks using brakes or not so the tranny rubber can be a good point to start is there any where else that i can look/replace ???

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I hate to say it but Pedders will do a shock test for not a lot of money and that will give you an idea if the shocks are shot . They will tell you a lot of other **** wrong with your car as well so weed through their sales pitch and don't give them any work as they will rip you off in overpriced parts many of them oem stuff with their own markup but at least you will know if the shocks need doing.

P

petesvns

ok got new shockies today put in and what do ya know its still doin it any ideas??

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
it's clearly resonance as it's speed-specific. my VN does the same thing at about 90 km/h, but more mildly.

vibration can be caused by a lot of things, but i'd put starting money on wheel balance. if you've just had it done, see if you can tell if any have fallen off.

other than that get underneath and see if anything has come loose in the suspension and steering, check all bolts, bushes.

jack the car up, grab each wheel and shake it violently. if there's any noticeable knock then you've found your problem.

oh also it could be a ball joint, that's another hot tip, once they go you'll certainly feel vibrations. it can be identified by the same test above.