Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

black 202 missing and stalling every time i stop at traffic lights, intersections - round abouts

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
I would like to give a huge shout out to everyone, especially VC Commondore, plus Krusing for offering to help if we were close enough.

the new distributor arrived in record time from VIC, and only took under 10 minutes to line up the rotor button to No 1 plug and take the old dizzy out and put in and line up the rotor button on the new dizzy again. these aftermarket dizzy's do not have the idiot proof No 1 mark on them like the genuine

but when I tried to kick it over it would not kick, just turned over, wouldn't even studder - fart - cough or backfire, nothing at all no matter how far I turned the dizzy

spent to next 3 hours taking the No 1 spark plug out insert a long enough probe to find TDC on the piston, did it a few times, each time nothing didn't cough, took the dizzy out a few times to line it up again and again still nothing, ended walking away for a while.

came back and thought to myself check the rotor button against the old genuine Boosh one, what do you know, the aftermarket rotor is a lot shorter, installed the old one and guess what, it fired up first kick, (IT'S ALIVEEEE!) and smooth, (should of check the rotor buttons in the first place, would of saved 3 hours) hasn't been this smooth on load idle for about a year, me thinks the module been on the way out for a while gradually gotten worst over time and the last wash just put it over the edge, took it for a spin and went well, (didn't even time it by ear). more power than it had in a long time, only issue, I've been stuck at my step mums for over 2 weeks due to the module playing up, 3 hours away from home, and have not got my timing gun with me, it pins a very little bit when you put your foot right to the floor, no studder, does it needs to be more advanced or retarded to stop the slight pining?

anyways cheers guys

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
and have not got my timing gun with me, it pins a very little bit when you put your foot right to the floor, no studder, does it needs to be more advanced or retarded to stop the slight pining?

anyways cheers guys
Retard it a touch.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Glad the problem is solved..

When you get home, just put the timing light on and set it at 6 degrees before top dead centre...That's where I set mine without any probems

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
just happened again, washed the engine bay for the first time since putting in the new dizzy, trying to keep away from the module, might of got some splash but i didn't deliberately get the dizzy wet. had to get the nrma out again, even he couldn't work it out inside the dizzy was bone dry, had spark and fuel, but started to have intermitted spark, really! arnt the rare spare dizzys waterproof, the past 8 - 9 years i used to wash the engine bay all the time and it didn't matter how much water i used or where, how are you suppose to clean the engine now?

this makes me scratch my head. the only thing that get it started is start you bastard but farts and splatters, not sure about this it does have a leak between the two manifolds, because when i pulled it apart 4 years ago one stud snapped trying to undo it (and yes i soaked it for days in penetration oil before trying to undo it, i took the outlet manifold to the exhaust place to install all new studs, when i went to pick it up 3 days later they only did the one stud, i needed it back on the road so i didn't argue just took it home and installed it, and of cause one of the other old studs snapped, really pi#@#ed me off, but it still drove well and could wash it since just a little noisy from the leak but in the past month or so i cannot wet the engine at all without starting problems, could the water be getting between the two manifolds? could this be the problem? but starts fine any other time

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes it is possible water is getting inbetween the manifold and head, causing the no start issues....

VKstocker

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore hopefully
ive washed my engine bay over a week ago, and since then it hard to start and when it does start its missing, and stalls every time i have to come to a full stop,

there is no water whatsoever in the dizzy cap, its bone dry, i blew it out 3 times since (didn't have any water in it to start with) sanded the finger.

ive washed the engine bay a thousand times before, never had problems starting before, just started doing this in the last 3 times I cleaned the engine bay in the last 3 months, first two times it didn't want to start straight away but afterwards no problems, but this last time it been really hard to start, only starts with start you bastard down the carbie, i even put a plastic bag over the air filter while cleaning this last time as i have a open element filter, thought maybe some water got into the carbie the first two times it started playing up,

can someone figure it out, or is it just happening as a consequence and could be something completely unrelated, cheers in advance
Something easy to try mate can of contact cleaner and spray in plug leads and blow out with air,cleanup with emery paper if the are corroded or rusty