Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black Smoke

premium

P-Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Berlina, 1985 VK SL
Bought my VL about 3 weeks ago, and it runs like an absolute dream, no knocks or noises.
But on sunday I was sitting at a set of lights on a hill, and when I took off I glanced in the mirror and noticed that the car was blowing a bit of black smoke (not blue, so it's not oil).

It only seems to blow smoke when it's under load, it's not really a huge issue but it's using a fair bit of fuel, and it's kind of embarrassing when half the back bumper-bar is black... :embarrass

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
well black smoke is running rich
too much fuel getting in so lean it out either by the AFM adjustment and ecu led's to find a happy medium.
goodluck

spannerturner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Twin Turbo (my goal)
check fuel pressure reg?? i had a problem like you are having only much worse id be stopping at a set of lights and i could almost swear i watched like 2 litres or more of fuel rush past my door mate in thick black smoke i was messing with all kinds of things thinking fuel pressure reg in the back of my mindonly not wanting to believe myself turns out i bloody well should have was pumping around 126 psi through the bloody thing lol

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
before you start turning adjustments on things that are really aren't meant to be adjusted, find out why it's running rich first.

Check your air filter. clogged and dirty filters will use fuel....probably not that much though. Unless it's brand new, change it anyway.

Check the fuel pressure reg as advised, if this has gone kaput then yes....but it's unlikely to be this...otherwise you would notice it more at idle then underload. When it's underload, it has a better chance of being able to use this excess fuel...when idling, it's getting over a 100psi and nowhere to put it except for out the exhaust pipe.

I'm expeirencing a similar problem to you but perhaps not quite to the same extent... detox mentioned adjusting the AFM....well, I'm going to suggest that you check to see if the little red cap is still on it. If it's gone, then there is a chance someone has already changed it to richen it up in the hope of more power...WRONG.

If it is gone, then get your multimeter (if you don't have one, get one) set it to ohms. disconnect the plug from the AFM and measure the resitance between the two outside terminals...I checked mine and it read 150 ohms. This is FAR too low and doesn't allow much current to pass through the AFM hot wire not allowing it get hot, making the computer think that it's getting a WHOLE bunch of air when it's not. Factory setting is 500ish ohms. put it there and see what happens.

p.s. change your air filter! just a second reminder.