Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blaupunkt VY/VZ Removal Tool

Carranza

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 SS Crewman
After reviewing and trying the different suggestions here... I took 4 1/8 allen wrenches slid them in and out she came... the trick is what ever you use makei t a 1/8 inch diametre and easy as!

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
**awaits Carranza to put down shovel**

guyver6

Reaction score
Website
mmgn.com
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport R8
Forgive my laziness I just have a quick question and though this thread semi relates to what I want to know. I just bought a double din head unit for my VZ, I also grabbed a fascia kit. The guy at JB tells me that's all I need but I've heard otherwise. It's a Kenwood DPX-U5120 head unit, do I need any additional wiring harness (excluding the steering control loom) or plug adapters for the antenna?
The reason I ask was when I was getting a quote at JB Dandenong the guy there whipped out a bunch of extras like a wiring loom extension and a antenna plug, but when I bought the head unit from the Nunawading store the rep said that's all I need and he even checked a few catalogs just to be sure.

Thanks.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
You don't need a harness, but it's highly recommended so you don't have to hack away at your current wiring. You will also need an antenna adaptor.

abadonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclain
Not sure how soon you need the info, but im putting a new JVC double din headunit in my VZ this weekend. So im still fresh with info.
You'll need the adaptor mentioned above for the radio. You WILL need a harness too. The VZ wires coming into the head units are in 2 main plug packs. Your input on the Kenwood is one plug pack. So they wont go together. I bought from autobarn a 'VZ wiring harness' (Aepro) which plugs into the holden plugs (2plugs to 2 plugs) then a 'JVC harness) which put the 2 Holden Plugs down to the JVC plug that bolts in the back of the HU. You dont need the second one as you can always solder the Holden one to the wiring harness that came with the Kenwood. But for 25 bucks or so I got lazy. To reiterate, there are TWO output plugs inside the console of your car, there is ONE input plug on your headunit. They need to mashed together, to do that get wiring harness. Dont ask JB they know nothing, they just sell boxes, the autobarn guys at my local store were great. I can illustrate further if you like. My Head Unit is in, tomoz its the speakers.

guyver6

Reaction score
Website
mmgn.com
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport R8
Guys thanks for the responses it much appreciated. I'm not in a massive rush to get this done but you know the feeling of having new gear sitting next to you all you want to do is get it installed so you can play with it lol.
@abadonn I'll take your advice and head down to Autobarn some time today and get the wiring harness and antenna plug, even if I don't end up attempting this myself at least I'll have all the parts ready to get the job done for the professional.

abadonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclain
I actually had the head unit in and playing music within 10mins of starting. However to seat it properly meant spending an hour or so taking the console out, again pretty easy. The head unit is the easiest thing of a stereo upgrade imo. So if thats all youve got. Do it, 2 scredrivers, 10 screws or so and in an hour or so and its all done. I used the following link as a very accurate visual guide, just ignore all the soldering stuff, the pdf was made by Phreddy from ASR, but couldnt find this pdf on his website
http://www.brain4arab.com/lumina-PDF/StereoModInst_rev1.1.pdf, so full credit to him.