Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LIAM WALKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Bought a vt 4 days ago
Then DAY 3 it all changed...
My rear lights blew for an unknown reason changed fuse blew again but it was dark and I noticed that when I tapped the break pedal the park lights would light up aswell, so I know there's a wiring issue there, but what I don't know is that every time I replace the fuses, as soon as I tap The break peddle the fuses blow immediately after, every single time and I can hear it pop, it uses a 10a I've used the fuses from 5 all the way up to 25 just to experiment and sure enough everything I plug in blows up, any ideas HELP???

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I can't provide any ideas on the fault itself as it could be many causes. It's just a long shot, but remove the bulbs just in case it is simply a shorted bulb.

If it isn't a bulb, I suggest wiring a highish wattage bulb (such as a 21W stop lamp bulb) across a blown fuse and replacing it back in the fuse holder. This will act as a current limiter and allow you to test the circuit while the brake is pressed (and save you a bunch of fuses). If the bulb is getting full battery voltage across it (and glows at full brightness) then you are looking for a short. Leave it glowing (but be careful as it will get hot) and disconnect the lights and anything else that you think might be at fault one at a time until the bulb brightness drops or goes out altogether.

LIAM WALKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Thanks, I'll give it a go after work I'll let u know my results

I can't provide any ideas on the fault itself as it could be many causes. It's just a long shot, but remove the bulbs just in case it is simply a shorted bulb.

If it isn't a bulb, I suggest wiring a highish wattage bulb (such as a 21W stop lamp bulb) across a blown fuse and replacing it back in the fuse holder. This will act as a current limiter and allow you to test the circuit while the brake is pressed (and save you a bunch of fuses). If the bulb is getting full battery voltage across it (and glows at full brightness) then you are looking for a short. Leave it glowing (but be careful as it will get hot) and disconnect the lights and anything else that you think might be at fault one at a time until the bulb brightness drops or goes out altogether.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
do you have trailer wiring

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
have a real good look at trailer plug and maybe even unplug loom next to left hand tail-light
and try removing the two tail light globes as a test
if fuse does not blow again
refit globes one at a time

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
way back 6 years ago we had the same kind of issue and after the rear stops blowing twice some guys in here asked what kind of bulbs were fitted and after looking they were a brand I and them had never heard of so I replaced all the bulbs with the Narva bulbs never had another blown bulb.