Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blown head gasket or cracked head

My Car Pwns

16 Mths Suspended Lisence
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fully Sick Push Bike Uleh!
BTW, It will take a couple of days for the oil cap to look milkish..

C

craigvl038

i drove mine for months with cracked heads. just make sure you carry some bottles of water with you and depending on how much water its using like mine was empty in 2-3 days so just keep checkin the water every so often.

My Car Pwns

16 Mths Suspended Lisence
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fully Sick Push Bike Uleh!
my heads gone again it drinks on average half a litre a day of water..
(but thats with me delivering pizzas every nite) :D
Cant wait till the VN is ready :D

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Are you installing the head yourself?

frenzal_tom

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS2 Berlina
mothers '99 vectra has done the head aswell mechanics dont have any clues they are so stupid

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
No I wont be doing the head myself, I already wrecked one of the threads on my current head by overscrewing in the manifold stud so I'm gonna palm it off to the mechanic. its just gotta last until tax refund time LOL Might take it to rajab or bresciani at least they know about vl's and all the problems and fixes for them, will prolly cost more but be done right hopefully.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Basically vl heads crack mainly in one spot which is right along the cam tunnel. mainly from the back of the head to the front. If you leave it to long they're a prick to drill out and weld. (Take me 2 hours to do 1 bad head) They corrode a bit and sometimes into the exhaust ports. Threads aren't a big deal to fix just put a new coil in bit hard when its on the motor though. Rajab should know a bit one of the brothers died in a 9sec vl they built. I you want to fix your old head i could prolly get done for nothing if its cracked or corroded if the boss lets me. Getting it reconditioned will cost though but with a discount.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Sweet man, good info there mate. I am looking for the thanks button LOL but its gone. I have a spare head from a low K's calais that I am gonna use but need to get crack tested and machined. Where abouts do ya work? I might come to you guys if its not too far out of the way.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I work at hm gem engines south dandenong. Is the head still together or has it been stripped if you want me to pessure test it it'll need to be stripped as well for the machining if you want some more details pm me. I can get prolly get everything done up to machining for nothing but i might have to charge for that as i'll have to ask the boss to mill the head.