Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Body swap

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Thank you matey! Much needed info there. Makes sense bcuz i noticed that there was some type of clear silicone around the firewall. I have a very important question now. Is the firewall connected to the dashboard panel??????

I think the dashboard is a complete assembly which is installed by a robot as a unit via the door opening. The firewall is possibly there for providing mechanic support with brackets etc. and access for AC lines and wiring looms.
The glued firewall allows design flexibility, but keeps the body shell in the VT/VZ tight and doesn't flex too much. Well, so I have read.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
During assembly, the dash and firewall were inserted into the body as a single assembly IIRC. This made assembly of the dash assembly much easier for production line workers, as they assembled it completely outside the body and were able to access it from front and back. In theory, quality control also improved as parts that were normally difficult to access from under the dash, could be much more easily accessed and were more likely to be assembled correctly.

However, the dash panel can be removed separately from inside the car. It's just a pain in the arse.

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
There are a lot of differences between an SV6 and a Calais, in both features and cosmetics. It's a big job if you want to do it properly. You would be better off buying a high mileage Calais and swapping interior, drivetrain, steering and suspension. That way you'd know you have wiring etc all there. Mine has done 55000kms and there is a noticeable difference between driving mine and one that has done say, over 200kms.

I think the 1/4 panels and rear bumpers are different also to accommodate the different size tail lights and reflector grille panel. Sorry to the owners but an SV6 is really just an exec with FE2 and a spoiler in most cases..

In Calais, you have dual-zone climate control, extra speakers in the stereo, side airbags and many other little things that are not on Exec, SV6, SS, some Berlina etc. Plus if you have a factory Calais donor body, you'll have the "X" in your VIN, helping you with resale later as that letter denotes Calais only. Bonus if you can get a shagged V8, would be all plug and play. Much better and easier swap IMHO. Just my $0.02

EDIT: I'd be shelving the sunroof idea too.. Massive, although you might get lucky and find a VZ Calais with one already in it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There are a lot of differences between an SV6 and a Calais, in both features and cosmetics. It's a big job if you want to do it properly. You would be better off buying a high mileage Calais and swapping interior, drivetrain, steering and suspension. That way you'd know you have wiring etc all there. Mine has done 55000kms and there is a noticeable difference between driving mine and one that has done say, over 200kms.

I think the 1/4 panels and rear bumpers are different also to accommodate the different size tail lights and reflector grille panel. Sorry to the owners but an SV6 is really just an exec with FE2 and a spoiler in most cases..

In Calais, you have dual-zone climate control, extra speakers in the stereo, side airbags and many other little things that are not on Exec, SV6, SS, some Berlina etc. Plus if you have a factory Calais donor body, you'll have the "X" in your VIN, helping you with resale later as that letter denotes Calais only. Bonus if you can get a shagged V8, would be all plug and play. Much better and easier swap IMHO. Just my $0.02

EDIT: I'd be shelving the sunroof idea too.. Massive, although you might get lucky and find a VZ Calais with one already in it.

No, the body panels are identical. The styling differences between the lower and higher spec models was achieved simply by altering the bumper facias.

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Okay, so not the quarter panels. Just the bumpers are different...