Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bolting Carpet to floor.

Silver_VS_II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore series II
I've recently pulled my carpet out to clean it and stuff and ive been thinking about when im putting it back in i might bolt it to the side wall parts which are covered by the plastic door flooring thing. my carpet gets pulled down when people stand on it, it can stretch enough it just gives way too easily.

bolting this would be screwing into the floor, just wondering if thats okay to do? its like the main part of the car, i just hate seeing it pulled out. it would look alot more tidy if it was all held there.

thanks.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Problem I see is that instead of being pulled out of where it is clamped, it would rip out when people stand on it. The carpets must shrink with age!

Silver_VS_II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore series II
yeah i agree, i was thinking of using some type of plate across the whole strip and then putting screws every say 5-10cm, hopefully that being enough to hold together and not rip out.

i dont know if they shrink with age or just arent big enough to start with, im guessing you have a similar problem?

Deneo

Lock your Daughters up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Statesman
It's a common problem, And iv'e never been able to fix it, but try a thin strip of ally and screw it in or something as you suggested. I think they shrink with age.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I think that they also tend to rot, so no matter how you attach it, the carpet will tear. How about putting something under the carpet near the rails so that it sits higher and goes deeper under the cover. Use a piece of old carpet or several thicknesses of newspaper.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
for $150 you can get a moulded carpet made for your car, there is a place in Ringwood that does it.

Or check Ebay. they do a deep pile good quality carpet too.

Just type in "commodore carpet" or similar into ebay.

Silver_VS_II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore series II
yeah thats true i think it does rot mines already got a huge mould spot where it looks like someones spilt a drink in the back.

i suppose i could add extra padding but if someone steps heaps close to the side wall i reakon it will just pull out again.

i've seen those for sale. i dont really want to spent that much on a bit of carpet for my car tho, and i wonder if it will just shrink too.

i'm thinking of dyeing it black so it doesnt show up stains as well. maybe i could paint those side wall parts of the bloor black too so if it does come out its not as noticeble. mm

Deneo

Lock your Daughters up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Statesman
Only thing i hate about the new carpet is they come in 2 peices.

Silver_VS_II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore series II
Only thing i hate about the new carpet is they come in 2 peices.

Oh dead set! That's stupid who would want a two piece carpet? It would just get a tonne of **** kicked underneath it. I'll stick to my stock one but i just wanna make it look a bit better. I'm thinking of dyeing it black just because i'm sick of seeing the stains and stuff. I could imagine it would need a really good clean to make sure the dye sticks. Does anyone know what it's made of because i'd say nylon or similar wouldn't dye very well.

Thanks! :)

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
its not too bad being in two pieces, it joins under the front seats/centre console so you can barely notice it.
allows you to get it really well fitting too