Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bonnet wont open!

kaybz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Holden Acclaim S2
bonnet catch is been adjusted too tight i shut the bonnet and it now wont open at all :/

any suggestions ? hahaha

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Series II VS Berlina
get a long stanley flatblade screwdriver that has the square cut shaft to it so you can use a small shifter for leverage.

from underneath the car between bumper an aircon condenser slide blade up and put into slot at bottom of locking pin and lossen whilst you get 2 other people to pull cable an push n pull bonnet

kaybz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Holden Acclaim S2
thanks ill give it a try soon. haha this is so stupid :/ how would i fix this problem ? from happening again

aussie bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Exec S2
Get a small stubby flat head screw driver wedge it in the bonnet release so the latch is in the pull position and jump out of the car and push down on the bonnet that's how I did it when I was by myself

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
option 1) swear at it
option 2) as above get a second person to push down on the front of the bonnet when you pull the level
option 3) with the drivers door open, pull the lever all the way, hold the lever out, thump the bonnet with a fist about halfway along near the guard (people look at you funny but it works 95% of the time)

Depending on what's not adjusted correctly depends on the fix:
It could be the main part in the centre of the bonnet that latches need to be wound out, undo the lock nut and use a flat head screw drivers to wind it out then do the lock nut back up.

It could be someone has wound the rubber stops out to far so that the bonnet looks like it sits flush with the guards and hold to much pressure on the latch, i wouldn't recommend playing with these unless you have patience and can adjust them slowly without slamming the bonnet closed and push down on each side to check the clearance between the bonnet and headlight (i wound them in to far once on a vp and when the bonnet was let go to close it shattered a headlight....)

It could just be the cable is old and stretched, get a new one before it breaks and you can no longer open the bonnet at all.........

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Option 3 is the one that always has worked with me.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
After option 3 opens the bonnet........apply some zinc oxide grease to the latch and pin to prevent it from happening again.