Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot Neon and Activation

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I have a boot neon plugged in (via connectors) straight into the existing plugs for the standard globe, to activate the neon when the boot is raised. Is it ok to run a wire from a switch (and obviously + on batter) to the neon as WELL as the plug. What I want to happen is:

When driving along, flick neon switch to ON activating:
Passenger and Drivers side neons
Boot Neon

When opening boot, activating Boot neon.
If I have switch ON will it only activate the neon when the lid is opened, and when switch is OFF will it shut the neon off completely?

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
hhhmmm i think i sorta know what your getting at. I think it's a matter of where exactly your wires are being switched. Say for example you have them hooked up to your boot light wiring - boot opens - switch goes on and the circuit is completed. boot closes - switch goes off and circuit is split. Now, i could be wrong, but as i understand it, if you were having another switch wired up to it which was running from the battery, if you connected this power wire BEFORE THE SWITCHING POINT of the boot wiring, then your neon would not light up when you flicked your secondary switch because the circuit would still be cut at the boot light switch. On the other hand, if you connected the power wire running from the battery to a position AFTER the switching point of the boot light wiring, then the boot light wiring would not turn it off when the boot is shut because it would be bypassing this switching point.

I've drawn a little diagram up and attached it, it should help explain. You'll see on the right hand side that the power would run to the boot light wiring but once it reached the boot light switch it would depend whether the boot light switch was in its on or off position as to whether your neon lighted up. If you look on the left hand side of the picture you'll see that the power wire from the battery would run past the boot light switch and therefore when the boot was shut and the boot light switch was in it's off position it wouldn't matter because it wouldn't be cutting the path between the power wire from the battery and the neon. Cheers dude, hope this helps with the theoretical side at least.

Attachments

• double_boot_switch.gif
    double_boot_switch.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 489

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Yes you can, and the easiest way is to buy a DPST switch, basically two switches in one.

For the cabin neons you will wire the flow through 1+ and out 1-.

For the boot take the negative from the neon and run it to the switch in 2+, then out of the switch through 2- to ground.

This way if the switch is on the cabin neons come on and the boot neon works as it does now, but if its off none will work. Why would you ever want to turn the neon in the boot off though?

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I want the neon in the boot to operate with the cabin neons, as more effect, so people can watch the subs..

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
So then just hook that one up to the ones in the cabin, or you would have to run a cable to the boot for another switch anyway.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
DJ Majah said:
So then just hook that one up to the ones in the cabin, or you would have to run a cable to the boot for another switch anyway.

If I was to do that, the neon wouldn't operate on the bootlid switch anyway..

What I want to happen is:
turn switch ON: Neon activates both bootlid open and closed.
turn switch OFF: neon activates only when bootlid is open.

sorry about the poor wording, I was tired

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
lol ahhh ok then.

What you need to do is hook it up to the ones in the cabin, like in my last post, put all of them in series like this.

BATTERY => SWITCH => NEON => NEON => (CURRENT CONNECTION GOES HERE) BOOT NEON => GROUND

Also, leave the current connection to the boot light on, this way both will activate the neon, but the boot wont activate the cabin ones.

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Yeah, like that other guy said, he must have been able to understand you!

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
from earth to switch and from other side of switch to the neg side of light, you a using the switch to bypass the boot switch when it is closed, dont remember if boot switches neg or pos but if it switches neg do it this way, if it switches posative use pos to the switch and other side of switch to positive side of lamp. Or you could run twin core wire to boot swich and use it to close connection via a switch, these are all basically the same method.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
I think i understand what you mean, tell me if im on the wrong track.
From what i read you want the boot neon to come on with the interior neons but only have the boot neon opperating if the boot lid is open.

If thats the case you would hook all the neons up like normal but have the existing boot switch termanals hooked to a relay so that it closes the circuit when the boots open and opens it when the boots closed cutting out the boot neon and leaving all the rest on.

Problem is you'll need to flick the switch on the see the shopping at night.

Hope im on the right track with how you want it to opperate