Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BP Ultimate is the best...

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Interesting thread to come up so I'll share my experience :)

The BP I've been going to since I bought my car gone to a Pre-Paid which I refuse to do so I decided to give Mobil a try after running the tank as close to 'E' as possible.

2 months had gone past and I was using 18 - 18.5L/100 then I found a BP which I never knew existed just out of my way to work, since then (probably 3 tank fulls) I'm down to 16.5 - 17L/100.

In my view BP certainly is the Ultimate when it comes to fuel but I guess the thing to remember is different cars prefer different fuels.

I've never heard of Horizon?

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
You guys know that the properties of each fuel change over time? They even change between batches directly from the manafacturer pending on the conditions and raw properties at the time of manafacture. There are many influences that affect fuels such as temp and humidity to name a few. People living in the outskirts of towns and country/rural areas have a higher chance of purchasing "stale" fuel. This is because the turnover of the fuel is lesser than that of busier outlets letting such conditions "denature" the fuel. I always get my BP ULTIMATE from the busier station. You can not draw a direct comaprison between early (carb) and late (efi) cars with the same fuels. There is a huge gap in technology between these models even between early and late efi engines. Fuel only works aswell as the efficency of the motor to burn the fuel. So if you have a car running like **** or a 20yr old 202 your not going to get optimum gains by changing to i higher octane fuel. Dont waste ur cash! Another tip: Go to the smaller outlets they are constantly getting fresh fuel as there storage tanks are alot smaller than that of the larger outlets. I know im being abit pedantic but it all makes a difference + im fussy. All this was discussed in a tech write up in sm a couple months ago.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Interesting thread to come up so I'll share my experience :)

The BP I've been going to since I bought my car gone to a Pre-Paid which I refuse to do so I decided to give Mobil a try after running the tank as close to 'E' as possible.

2 months had gone past and I was using 18 - 18.5L/100 then I found a BP which I never knew existed just out of my way to work, since then (probably 3 tank fulls) I'm down to 16.5 - 17L/100.

In my view BP certainly is the Ultimate when it comes to fuel but I guess the thing to remember is different cars prefer different fuels.

I've never heard of Horizon?

After originally being informed by minux, I did some research, and BP Ultimate and Mobil 8000 are in fact the same fuel.

Mobil supplies 68% or so of Australia's fuel, and both BP Ultimate and Mobil 8000 are exactly the same fuel, except for the Mobil Synthetic package which is added when the fuel is put into the tanker to clean your engine. So as far as performance and fuel economy goes, they are exactly the same, only the detergents and products used to clean your engine differ between the two fuels.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
You guys know that the properties of each fuel change over time? They even change between batches directly from the manafacturer pending on the conditions and raw properties at the time of manafacture. There are many influences that affect fuels such as temp and humidity to name a few. People living in the outskirts of towns and country/rural areas have a higher chance of purchasing "stale" fuel. This is because the turnover of the fuel is lesser than that of busier outlets letting such conditions "denature" the fuel. I always get my BP ULTIMATE from the busier station. You can not draw a direct comaprison between early (carb) and late (efi) cars with the same fuels. There is a huge gap in technology between these models even between early and late efi engines. Fuel only works aswell as the efficency of the motor to burn the fuel. So if you have a car running like **** or a 20yr old 202 your not going to get optimum gains by changing to i higher octane fuel. Dont waste ur cash! Another tip: Go to the smaller outlets they are constantly getting fresh fuel as there storage tanks are alot smaller than that of the larger outlets. I know im being abit pedantic but it all makes a difference + im fussy. All this was discussed in a tech write up in sm a couple months ago.

I think you overestimate the chance of the fuel going 'stale'. This takes 8-9 months or so, and even the service station at Birdwood gets VERY regular fuel deliveries.

We get a fuel delivery every 2nd-3rd day at my mobil and we have large tanks. Going to a service station purely because its busier is just silly.

If anything, you should simply avoid independant fuel stations, such as the independantly owned BP's (Shahin Corp etc) as their procedures may not be as thorough as those owned by the oil companies. They may not dip their tanks all the time, they may not dip tanks for water regularly, or calibrate and maintain their pumps regularly like the stations owned by the oil companies that can afford to perform extremely regular maintenance.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
After originally being informed by minux, I did some research, and BP Ultimate and Mobil 8000 are in fact the same fuel.

Mobil supplies 68% or so of Australia's fuel, and both BP Ultimate and Mobil 8000 are exactly the same fuel

isn't it BP who supply the majority of fuel.....they certainly do in WA coz we've got the BP refinery in kwinana. pretty sure in wa they supply caltex and shell with unleaded petrol. while they keep the ultimate to themselves....i think.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
isn't it BP who supply the majority of fuel.....they certainly do in WA coz we've got the BP refinery in kwinana. pretty sure in wa they supply caltex and shell with unleaded petrol. while they keep the ultimate to themselves....i think.

Unleaded is supplied by whoever is closest, Shell in geelong supplies mobil, bp, shell and a few indys. When it comes to premium different story, shell use their own, Mobil use Ultimate which than has a blend added.

bassically 8000 and Ultimate are THE EXACT fuel, which as i stated earlier, why BP reccomends mobil 8000 when there is a shortage :)

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Minux..

What about Vortex ? Thats what i run in my car.. Is it supplied exclusivley by Caltex ?

BTW my mate runs shell 95 or caltex 95 in his car and he swears by it !
He rekons 98 is a waste for n/a V8's and 91 is **** so 95 is the go ??

I like Vortex i get good milage and the car feels more responsive than when i ran optimax for a while.

I might give BP Ultimate a go in the new year:thumbsup:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I have no idea about vortex, isn't that refined in Sydney or something? I only know about BP etc because of our fuel rep at work.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
Unleaded is supplied by whoever is closest, Shell in geelong supplies mobil, bp, shell and a few indys. When it comes to premium different story, shell use their own, Mobil use Ultimate which than has a blend added.

bassically 8000 and Ultimate are THE EXACT fuel, which as i stated earlier, why BP reccomends mobil 8000 when there is a shortage :)

sweet yeh i thought so...:thumbsup:

cheers
ryan

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride

Mobil produces most of the fuel. Mobil is Australia's oldest oil company with a history in Australia dating back 111 years (1895) and Mobil is australia's LARGEST petroleum company. Its around 60% apparently:

ExxonMobil’s Bass Strait (Gippsland) operations have produced almost two-thirds of Australia’s cumulative oil production and almost 30 per cent of Australia’s gas production.

We are talking about the production of petroleum, not product distribution terminals which simply hold the fuel or petroleum refineries.