Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake caliper paint?

Phantom VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 60th Aniversary
Hey all, I want to paint my ve calipers. I have been searching for lime green but can't find any. Does anyone know any solutions or know where I could get some? Cheers

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Have you tried your local hardware/paint store?....That's the first place I would go for a small tin of enamel.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Have you tried your local hardware/paint store?....That's the first place I would go for a small tin of enamel.

Doubt they would sell high temperature enamel designed for engine bays/brakes.
Normal enamel from a hardware store wouldnt last too long on brake calipers that's for sure.
Op, auto stores (Supercheap and the like) would be your best bet. If they dont have a colour you want, they may be able to order one in. Otherwise, there's always online purchase from the US.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Doubt they would sell high temperature enamel designed for engine bays/brakes.
Normal enamel from a hardware store wouldnt last too long on brake calipers that's for sure.
Op, auto stores (Supercheap and the like) would be your best bet. If they dont have a colour you want, they may be able to order one in. Otherwise, there's always online purchase from the US.

I've got normal enamel paint from bunnings on my brake calipers, they've been painted for a while now, have had the chance to get really hot, and it still looks as good as the day I painted it.

I previously used high temp stuff from Repco (I think) within 2 weeks it was flaking off :(

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sting SV Black Edition Tourer
Yep, I agree with bigjim above.

I used the G2 paint when I did my calipers orange. What a stuff around trying to get that. First they didnt want to send it to me because it had an aersol brake cleaner in it. Then when they said they would, they said they would have to take it out but still charge me the same price for shipping..... :upyours:

But, considering I thought it was what I needed and I couldnt get a decent heat proof paint in the orange I wanted I got it.

Then I changed to green. I changed the highlights first and as I knew I wasnt getting brakes for a little while, just got some silver VHT caliper paint. Roughed up the calipers and painted. Then the brake thing was taking too long but I knew it was happening. But I still wanted the green. One day in Bunnings I found the perfect green and went home and painted the calipers. Perfect. They still were the same green as the day I painted them in May. And that included a number of track runs etc. All of my pics in my ride thread are that bunnings green.

Now on my Brembos, I looked at it this way. The calipers are already painted silver. Must be an appropriate paint. So, what I did with those, was prime them using a SLS primer, paint them with my special bunnings brake paint ;) and then heat them with a heat proof clear. No probs so far.....
b7a1e0e0.jpg

Ok, so it has cost me $50-60 to paint all four brembos. But the upside is you can basically choose any colour your little heart desires. And why stick to red, silver, yellow etc that everyone else has done. I'm likeing the new metallic blue that BMW is putting on the M5 and I already know what colour I'm doing next if (ok, probably when) I change.

Now..... get your own colour..... :poke:

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Should add I also used a clear coat after painting mine, but it wasn't a high temp stuff.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
I'm surprised as to how some blokes think these calipers get so hot to burn paint. Where are they driving? ...lapping Mt. Panorama!

I paint, using ordinary 'front garden gate' epoxy enamel,(White Knight or Wattle) on the iron barrels of my air cooled motorcycles, and they get smoking hot on a hot day. The paint looks as fresh as the day it was painted.

bigjim92 is 'on the money'

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sting SV Black Edition Tourer
I'm surprised as to how some blokes think these calipers get so hot to burn paint. Where are they driving? ...lapping Mt. Panorama!

I paint, using ordinary 'front garden gate' epoxy enamel,(White Knight or Wattle) on the iron barrels of my air cooled motorcycles, and they get smoking hot on a hot day. The paint looks as fresh as the day it was painted.

bigjim92 is 'on the money'

I agree and disagree. I certainly dont believe you need to go and buy special brake caliper paint kits.....

However, the brakes certainly get hot. And there are those of us that do indulge in track activity. Perhaps not lapping Mt Panorama but considering standard brakes are generally cooked on 3-5 laps of the national circuit at Queensland Raceway, I would be considering the heat issue. I dont do it all the time but I generally try and get to a track day once a year and I generally do Cruise 4 Charity and Powerplay at QR each year so I think its important.

I honestly believe if you sprayed standard spray paint on your SS brakes and then did hard driving all the time and some track work, they would go dull and lose their lusture. IMO, its all in the prep. I even had a mate who was impressed with the method I used to paint mine. A primer, a colour and heat proof clear. I'll be sticking with that method on my future cars.....

Phantom VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 60th Aniversary
Thanks guys for all the ideas. I ve got vht engine enamel in green so I'm gonna try that today and see how she goes :)