Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake pads

N

nervesplit

I own a 2002 commodore SS and I keep changing brake pads and rephasing the disc every 3 months. Is this normal? How often do u guys change brake pads// ever thought of upgrades? like brembo?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Every 3 months? What kind of driving do you do?

Maybe you should look into some harder compound brake pads, will reduce life on your rotors, but the pads will last longer.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
3 months!!! woah who tells you that they need to be changed???? thats a heap if its you r mechanic they shoudl be shot that is way to often

N

nervesplit

i hear weird sounds while applying brakes. thts when i realize tht i have to change them.. and besides.. the car never stops at the rite spot..

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
I change mine about once a year.
3 months seems WAY to short!!

ViperVp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
i change maybe once a year.

Are you replacing just because is been 3 months or because they need to be changed?

If then do need too be changed then there maybe something wrong the the pad holder (Sorry don't know names), that is making them constaily rubbing on the disc... its you're car sluggish at all??
I dont know but can you have water(or too much) in the brake fiuld that expands with Heat then constaly rubs wilst hot?

And if then dont need too be changed.... dont change them.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
nervesplit said:
I own a 2002 commodore SS and I keep changing brake pads and rephasing the disc every 3 months. Is this normal? How often do u guys change brake pads// ever thought of upgrades? like brembo?

well depends....
the STANDARD front pads on mine lasted for 3 months before
I went out and bought a set of the fullface Police pads (from Holden)
About 12 months later, I then went to a track day and cracked a front rotor
so stuff it....
I went out and bought a set of DBA xdrilled/slotted rotors and Formula Ferodo 'green' pads.
20,000k (and 4 track days at Sandown) later I have just replaced the front pads....
with another set of Formula Ferodo pads....!
so I suggest you are up for some decent brakes....

btw
what do you mean by 'rephasing the disc'? never heard that before

cheers

Smitty

vrclubbie

Reaction score
VXIISSM6er said:
well depends....
the STANDARD front pads on mine lasted for 3 months before
I went out and bought a set of the fullface Police pads (from Holden)
About 12 months later, I then went to a track day and cracked a front rotor
so stuff it....
I went out and bought a set of DBA xdrilled/slotted rotors and Formula Ferodo 'green' pads.
20,000k (and 4 track days at Sandown) later I have just replaced the front pads....
with another set of Formula Ferodo pads....!
so I suggest you are up for some decent brakes....

btw
what do you mean by 'rephasing the disc'? never heard that before

cheers

Smitty
thats often... but if u driv hard still believable, i think he means maching the dics btw, as said above, get some dbas and quality pads up ya (bendix ultimate, ferodo's, ebc's)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Sometimes the fact that hard steel type pads seem to wear the disc unevenly might make some people think they need replacing .
This is just what non asbestos type steel pads do.They sort of wear in to their own grooves in the disc so as long as the actual pad thickness is ok a few grooves in the disc made by these pads don't make any difference to the cars stopping ability .There is no need to remachine them when they look like this as it will just happen again.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
And if you want your pads to last longer DO NOT get slotted or cross drilled rotors.

Slotted rotors would be taking a very thin scruff of the top of your pads every time your applying the brakes, hence deglazing your pads for better braking.