Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brake upgrade

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Already had HSV VX 330x32 fitted to the front.
HSVbrakes003.jpg

&
Have just used the latest Harrop Adapter kit that allows you to fit any VT-VZ Holden/HSV brakes setup onto any VL-VS solid rear axles.
img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p266/surfwagon/HarropAdpters.jpg[/img]

Here's how the fitting went.

Firstly look at the difference in the size of the discs.
rearbrakes004640x480.jpg

Remove the standard brakes, park brake and axles as per any service manual.
Then fit up the new Harrop adapter backing plate and reattach the park brake setup:
rearbrakes013640x480.jpg

Moving to the axles you really need to replace the studs with longer ones as the Harrop Kit plus the HSV discs adds about 8mm extra thickness and the standard studs are only just long enough standard.
I used VR-VS Front studs but the hole they go in is 12.7(1/2") and the rear axle hole is only 12mm and no you can't just hammer it in.
I punched out the standard studs and drilled out the theholes to 1/2" then hammered the new studs in.
Just make sure you check your wheel nuts after about a week in case one hasn't seated properly.
rearbrakes015640x480.jpg

rearbrakes014640x480.jpg

Next you refit the axles then place on the Harrop handbrake hat and adjust the shoes just like normal
rearbrakes002640x480.jpg

rearbrakes016640x480.jpg

The comes the HSV VX disc and caliper using braided lines to help keep the pedal height good as you can't upgrade the VS master cylinder.
rearbrakes018640x480.jpg

rearbrakes006640x480.jpg

I couldn't be happier with the Harrop kit which allows you to use any VT-VZ Holden/HSV rear brake set up.

Cheers Col.