Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Upgrades

ONQ-247

3.8L ECOTEC GRUNT!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Hi Guys,

Just chasing some upgrade options as a replacement for the brakes on my VS. Unfortunately, even with new pads, discs and fluid, they're performance is pretty lack-lustre. Given I am used to braking performance of lighter cars, I'd like to try and replicate this with the VS.

So what are my options? Preferably I'd like it to be a simple exercise (cheap if possible), bolt up without changing major items etc. Also, will a booster/master cylinder upgrade be needed as well?

Cheers for the advice!
Nick

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
ve brake upgrade its bolt on no need to change mc/brake booster etc
contact Not an abba Fan, he is the best on this subject, he also sells the full kit.

you can do a vt brake upgrade but then again you need the modified brake booster and master cylinder to get that one working correctly. i'm currently picking up parts for the vt brake upgrade only because i want to run specific pads and discs.

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
Have just done the VX upgrade on the VP and have to say it was so simple! If you rotate the rear of the VX booster 90' and re-drill the holes in the VP firewall bracket to suit the VX booster and put in a 10mm spacer inbetween the booster and the bracket, no mods are required to the rod as you've taken the rod length out of the equation. You can also use the VP strut tower bracket without modification aswell and it all looks factory! :) As far as the discs/ callies go, just got Rodtech here in SA to do a pair of HQ drumbrake hubs to 5x120 and VX studs(5mm longer than VP) and also machine the hub boss to suit VX discs- All up cost me about $350!
Having said all that, I wonder how well it'd stop once I replace the VX callies/ discs with VE items with the VX master/ booster...

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
There is a ton of info on this forum regarding brake upgrades; pros, cons and DIY.

You just need to try a search.