Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Breath Better

crazy2009

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2005 VZ V6
VZ Calais 2005 Planning to remove the old air box and run a POD just behind the headlight. I did some testing by way off removing the shroud over the radiator taking out the air filter and found coniderable better response through the increase in airflow
Realising I have to run a filter of some sort thus going the POD

Anyone tried this setup and found any issues

More mods may well follow soon custom extractors with 2 1/2 twin out the back retaining the cats.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
you'll get a fair bit of hot air going into the pod so i wouldn't think there'd be much gain if any by putting a pod in.

if you do a search you should find a few people have asked this question before and recieved a few responses

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
2 hole mod!

with just the pod filter you may have issues with epa regulations about filter needing to be enclosed from the engine bay..... there is a pod filter and box setup usually on ebay

crazy2009

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2005 VZ V6
Hi guys

thannx for replies done the read up on the 2 hole setup. However after having taken out the air box there is a **** load of area all behind the headlight good clearance from the motor plus I have gotten a heat guard that protects the side that is nearest the motor. So alot of circulation pinned actually further away then original setup. Having looked at the 2 hole setup and aftermarket through eBay they all encase the filter and to me this really does not do alot more than the original setup.

My thinking and I maybe wrong is to give a much air around the POD setup as possible and this seems to be the way to go more free flowing air from not only behind the light but through the engine bay areas as a whole.

Well will let you know.

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
2 hole mod and all will be good along with K&N filter, and for the record its "Breathe"

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Just bear in mind that Holden spent time and money making the air intake the way it is. I'm led to believe there is a large amount of positive air pressure which gives a mild amount of "boost" to the intake when the car is moving.

Making major changes can sometimes drop ponies rather than gaining them.

crazy2009

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2005 VZ V6
Previous car was a VX SS and when setting that up I was told K&N filter are little or no better than standard by a couple of guys but each to there own. I guess in my case proof in going to be in the eating and as I see no one has tried this way yet well no one on JC as far as I can see then I'll let you know.

When I just played with no filter and removed the shroud over the radiator it was alot responsive on Pick up / Throttle

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Just bear in mind that Holden spent time and money making the air intake the way it is. I'm led to believe there is a large amount of positive air pressure which gives a mild amount of "boost" to the intake when the car is moving.

Making major changes can sometimes drop ponies rather than gaining them.

Do you want to elaborate on that a bit more? Interested on your theory of the car getting "boost" while its going along...

An air filter slows the speed of the air, the engine regulates the amount of air that comes into it, not the pressure from the car moving.

If your doing 100k's and you had an exposed air filter, the pressure of the car going 100k's doesnt force the air up the intake, its slowed down by the filter and by the engine itself.