Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bridgestone Tyres for VX Calais & Variatronic Steering Issues

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
What grade is that OEM air, and how often do you change it ? ?? No mention in the owners manual about it.o_O
It was in a service bulletin issued by Holden mid-VX so you won't find it in the manual.

Don't use thin air as it vanishes quickly. There's also hot air but this is mostly just BS :D

Holden recommend changing the air every 10,000kms. It's still good for another 5000kms though so you can sell the used air on eBay.

Most dealers also recommend to keep the spare tyre empty as the reduced weight in the boot greatly improves fuel economy ;)

Hope this helps :p

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I did work for Caltex [in Black Rock - Melbourne] years go, 1975 > 1982 as a Driveway attended[ now I am showing my age :cool:], and the Caltex Air was free back then ;), We also had the Caltex Pressure Gauge, so we knew it was Caltex Air :rolleyes:, the customers loved it, since they didn't have to check to see what air they had in their tyres. :D

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi everyone,

I've always run 29 to 32 psi and never really had any issues. Tyres are rotated regularly and wear evenly. I generally get 40K to 50K out of a set which I'm happy with. The higher pressure would give better fuel economy (currently averaging 10.5L/100km city driving for a V6) and offer less roll resistance but it firms up the ride too much. You feel every single bump and rut in the road :(The lower pressure allows for more 'give' in the tyre providing a softer smoother ride. The Calais has forgiving suspension and a great ride. I find that hard tyres don't do it justice ;)

Mind you, after reading some posts yesterday... I went and topped up to 32psi just to be on the safe side.

I also made sure I used genuine OEM Caltex Air as recommended by Holden :D

Might be a good idea to have a personal Pressure Gauge, I have one in the glove box, but its never used now, where I purchased a Compressor [Kit] a few year ago, included a Inflation Kit from Supercheap, and that came with one of those dial gauges, and was just ok.
I waited till Supercheap had one of the professional Tyre Gauge on special, and bought one, and use that all the time, its more accurate than the Petrol Station gauges, being we are a six car family, makes more sense to DIY at home.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Thank you, VFCalais and krusing, for that advice regarding such little known vehicle servicing facts.
In the past, I have read scientific advice, mainly from tyre companies, regarding the benefits of specific chemical proportions of tyre air,
I use an inexpensive electrical device which dispenses tyre inflation air at 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% argon, and only on days where the humidity is below 25%, so that the moisture content is low, and not cause rust on the inside of my alloy wheels.
I am sure that some of the younger, or less experienced members of this forum will appreciate these gems of information. :)

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Thank you, VFCalais and krusing, for that advice regarding such little known vehicle servicing facts.
In the past, I have read scientific advice, mainly from tyre companies, regarding the benefits of specific chemical proportions of tyre air,
I use an inexpensive electrical device which dispenses tyre inflation air at 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% argon, and only on days where the humidity is below 25%, so that the moisture content is low, and not cause rust on the inside of my alloy wheels.
I am sure that some of the younger, or less experienced members of this forum will appreciate these gems of information. :)
Time to start a discussion on filling tyres with Nitrogen................(I wouldn't waste my money, but then I'm a Chemical Engineer so how would I know?)

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
you guys are funny
i remember a guy selling a USA pontiac that was 100% original
right down to the factory air in the tyres

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/br...ndatory-tyre-pressure-monitoring-in-australia

Don't know if this in a good idea or not.
More dumbing down of basic car maintenance for those who don’t care or know ?.
A safety feature to prevent an unexpected catastrophe during a trip ?
More expense and tech to make simple things complicated ?

I know a bloke who has TPMS on a luxo Jap car. I asked him how it works, what pressure, etc ……, answer, ‘Dunno, I take it to the dealer,’

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Love to see alloy rust.....Must do some scientific research on this......

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Love to see alloy rust.....Must do some scientific research on this......
When he said rust, I think he meant corrode. From that nasty water vapour, mixed with Oxygen. Plus whatever sh!t gets sucked into the air compressor. I agree with Figjam, use air from dry periods, so less water sitting in the receiver.