Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken door handle with child lock on

Psycho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Can anyone tell me how to open a rear door that has a broken exterior handle and the child lock has been engaged? :bang:

Psycho

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
I had to do this with my Evo III ... It is not an easy task ..

What you have to do, is get the door trim off with the door being closed .. Sounds impossible, but can be done.. This was what I had to do with mine...

Once the door trim is off, you need to unscrew the handle and then open the door from the outside, as you will not be able to flick the child saftey switch off while the door is closed... I had 1 screw in the door trim that was v/hard to get too, but with patience it was achieved .. The rest was all clips, and the usual screws for the arm support and stuff...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you can rip the rest of the broken handle off or at least break some of the plastic away to get at the release mechanism, you should be able to grab the rod with a pair of pointy nose pliers and open the door.

Psycho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
OK think I'll try getting the door trim off first. Thanks guys.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Just curious as to how you remove the screws from the sides and the bottom of the door trim with the door closed.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Maybe you can take the rear seat out.

If the handle is broke anyway, I still reckon you can get at it through the outside of the door.

Psycho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Ah sweet success! Couldnt get at the screws so gave up removing the trim. Then got the old coathanger out and using the other door to line up, was able to push the child lock off. Scratched up the door a bit around the child lock but thats no big deal, only shows when its open.

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
Just curious as to how you remove the screws from the sides and the bottom of the door trim with the door closed.

Only 1 screw with the evo door .. And it is on the side where the rear seats are in ... But yeah, take out the seats, and you can get to the screw ...

The bottom of the trim is clips ... So yeah, was easier ... Was not sure what the commy trim was like ..