Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brown sludge under radiator cap

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Can someone tell me how a leaking manifold gasket, always ends up leaving a brown sludge in the coolant? and why is it always brown?

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
You could just do all of the above.New water pump,new inlet manifold gaskets etc etc or you could thoroughly flush the cooling system to remove any left over sludge from pellets,rusting heater core or whatever else and then keep a close eye on it for a few days.If your gaskets are crook there will most likely be an oily film on the stick and/or cap.Get the thing pressure tested and if all's ok refill with coolant (the correct stuff,not some premix crap),add your pellets (to try to fill all the little holes that are appearing in the heater core) and Bob's your uncle.

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
Can someone tell me how a leaking manifold gasket, always ends up leaving a brown sludge in the coolant? and why is it always brown?

Because oil leaks into the coolant? Correct me if I'm wrong.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
That doesn't help much, because do you know what the pellets from Holden are used for? They are used to lubricate the water pump, a lubricant will feel oily/slimy.[/QUOTE]

The sludge from the pellets definately doesn't feel like engine oil rubbed between the fingers, only dark engine oil feels like just that,.... used engine oil!

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
Pablo's right.The pellets contain wax,as a lubricant,(hence the name wax pellets)and they contain a filler,similar to Barrsleaks,which will help fill pin holes in the radiator and heater core.But while we're on heater core,it is also a very likely source of sludge.If the heater isn't used frequently,even in summer,then sludge will build up in it and the first time you run the heater it will release the sludge into the rest of the cooling system so make sure that when you flush your system that you have the heater on so that it too can be flushed.Again,as Pablo said,the wax from the pellets feels like just that-,wax not engine oil.Good luck

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
yerp ihad the same thing on my old vt. i just thought it was dirty? but than i thought it was rust (lol) have no idea.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
The sludge from the pellets definately doesn't feel like engine oil rubbed between the fingers, only dark engine oil feels like just that,.... used engine oil!

Please explain a bit better, as I don't understand what you just said.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Pablo's right.The pellets contain wax,as a lubricant,(hence the name wax pellets)and they contain a filler,similar to Barrsleaks,which will help fill pin holes in the radiator and heater core.But while we're on heater core,it is also a very likely source of sludge.If the heater isn't used frequently,even in summer,then sludge will build up in it and the first time you run the heater it will release the sludge into the rest of the cooling system so make sure that when you flush your system that you have the heater on so that it too can be flushed.Again,as Pablo said,the wax from the pellets feels like just that-,wax not engine oil.Good luck

Pablo didn't say a thing about the pellets having a wax in them? Don't know where you got that from?
Show me some proof that they have a similar effect to barrsleak? Real proof.
I have two pellets in my hand right now and they do not seem to have any wax in them what so ever.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The pellets contain wax,as a lubricant,(hence the name wax pellets)
Ive never heard of holdens cooling system pellets being called wax pellets, but there are "wax pellet" type thermostats.