Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Build options

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
2. Stroker 355. More torque however loses stock appearance.

Where did you get the idea stroking changes the stock look of a motor? That's the beauty of stroking -no one knows it's done.

I've done an EFI 360 with bananas/stock engine covers. I've also seen a 355 dressed to look like a factory 253 red motor -decals and everything.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Dunno, every stroker I have seen have had aftermarket intake manifolds.

Is it even worth bothering with the standard manifold on a stroker? Everything you read suggests getting rid of the standard manifold asap.

I’d be after low down torque if I go the stroker route.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Is it even worth bothering with the standard manifold on a stroker? Everything you read suggests getting rid of the standard manifold asap.

You run out of manifold verrrry quickly stock even with a small-ish cam.

Not to mention the cast bananas look ugly as sin.

I've seen a few guys running 355's with a Crane 284 or 286 on a stock manifold and the dyno sheets are not impressive over a stock engine enough to justify the cost of the build and the drivability down low suffered a bit too.

A low rise dual plane would be my choice for bottom end torque and streetability while still being able to make good power.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunno, every stroker I have seen have had aftermarket intake manifolds.

I’d be after low down torque if I go the stroker route.

The HSV 350s use stock manifolds and had great low down torque.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I don't mind 284 cam 355 banana combo...they work ok in n/a but really wake up with forced induction.

Bananas can be made to work for streetcar but expect it to fall over at 5k so you want to make it feel quick under 100km/h lol

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't mind 284 cam 355 banana combo...they work ok in n/a but really wake up with forced induction.

Bananas can be made to work for streetcar but expect it to fall over at 5k so you want to make it feel quick under 100km/h lol

That's exactly what I had -Crane 284, 360cui, bananas.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
How did that combo go?

What was the $ damage on that one?

My 360? Quite cheap actually, I stripped a 304 (bores already at 0.040) I had laying around and supplied a bare block, ACL Race Series stroker pistons (no longer available), a set of A9Ls, COME stroker crank and 284 to a machine shop to balance and assemble the short. I assembled the remainder of the long including new stock valvetrain. It was basically similar to stock 230kw blueprint HSV stoker but with a few extra mods (more cubes, bigger throttle body, custom tune, port matched manifold etc. Lots of street torque. Probably cost me $6500 all up.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Could be rockers, the old stamped steel rockers tended to wear down with age and get some play.

If you pull the rocker covers you should be able to see pretty easily if you've got some slop just by grabbing them.