Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bunnings CAI for vt

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
all the CAI you guys are making are nothing more than a water injection ram if and when you hit a puddle..
and if you hit a puddle and ram water into the engine...and have try and run on it...it blow the engine apart....

place your air ram CAI above or equal to engines air intake on the engine !

get it as close as possible
get it filtered
get it breathing fresh air

sniffing the air on bottom of the tar road....is sad...
you get better outcomes from night time air --- cool air with the boonet off and holes drilled into the top of air cleaner with mini air ram..snorke fitted to direct forced air flow

and if you have a lowered spring lowered shocker front end it be worse....so low 1inch extra low 2inch or wild and mad low 3 inch...your ground to sniffer height is too low...

you also dont understand the term or words ...""dusted engine"" or look in your car owners manual under adverse conditions

sniffing the crap up along the road that your car vortex will create a vac....and udst and dirt will in going in big time!
even finer parts the filtered was ment for...
the filter where it is fitted now has taken in to account travel dust weight...etc...and just 1 leak in a standard air cleaner and you dust the engine
which means sandblast insides..meaning major dollars for a rebuild..

so air ramming increases your risk factor...
and vac air ramming doubles that risk again !

hence why real makers dont wish to sued...and thus fit wht you consider expensive tested CAI for cars
NOT bunnings super specail budget plumbing fittings...

Mess with a spare bonnet and making air ram scoops and vents.....and stuff....

:) hope this helps you...

Not been to much of a smart ass but:rofl2:

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
i've owned modified cars my whole driving life, and i dont know about anyone else, but if i think the water is more than about two inches deep i turn around and find another way home.

codeunknown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Commodore EXE 1999 with vx 3.8/auto
if you lived in the country..and water was over 2 inches ...and you turn away..you never get home in the bush or country with bad roads..that a fact of life to aussie's
and that is way holden built holdens to work fine ..with water up to there tailpipes..

if you changed the car with lowering and stuff you made your car unsuitable for aussie conditions...

and yes i was talking air water ram if you use it in real country bush situ...
and how bright really a huck of pvc that burn and melt in and under a engine bay...
if was leag or even bright ..the police and others would allow it...

:)

codeunknown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Commodore EXE 1999 with vx 3.8/auto
But when you have worked out its value....in terms of being effective....and not complete waste of time and effort...
post the results here in the post.....
of what you have proven is its achievements....proformance.....

i love to see how the bunnings special stacks up with the paid for pro CAI
because that is what you really want..is to match the pro CAI with less money ..right...?

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I had something similar on my VN Calais when I first bought it but it was a lot better done.

It had a K&N OTR CAI and filter but also a hole cut in the bottom of the air box with some thick steel reinforced rubber pipe that went down in to the back of the spoiler, the cut out in the spoiler had a steel mesh on it and behind that was a foam filter.

I was pretty happy with it, wasn't a 2 min back yard job and looked like it was factory if I didnt know any better. I doubt its going to suck up water through a filter then verticality up 80cm then suck through another filter then travel horizontally 120cm+ and travel though the throttle body.

Worst case the filter behind the mesh may get a little wet but its not going to suck up water like a straw. I doubt it even has enough suction to suck up water if i was squirting it directly with a hose.

Anyway since then the old spoiler is gone and I dont have that set up any more but I was very happy with it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
^^^^alot better done?? lol you saying mines dodgy???? :D

theres a better pic of it anyway...
had to rip bumper off to fit the w2a cooler and thats what it looked like 29102010399.jpg

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
In the way of it looking factory, I got sold that car nearly a month ago now.

Ill probably do the same to my new car but a different way, using a VN V6 air intake out the side of the air box and cut it flush just before the opening in the bumper. Not sure how to rig up a filer or if I even need one.