Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Burnt clutch smell?

elshonno

Reaction score
I just bought a sv6 series 2 manual and the last two days all I can smell is a burning rubber smell. The car has only done 1100k's and I have not thrashed it.
The smell is getting that bad in the cabin its making me asick and making my garage smell like ive just done a burn out inside it.

Could this be the clutch? It doesnt smell like a plastic bag as burning plastic smells alot different. I dont get how a clutch could be ####ed on a car this new.

Any clues would be good. Im going to take it into holden anyway.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
It's not the new exhaust burning in is it?

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
A new exhaust shouldn't smell that bad. And should stink for that long either.
Has the smell only started in the past two days, or since new?

vz_sv6_owner1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS storm ute
I agree with sabbath' ^^^^^^ it's probably just the exhaust running its self In...

Do you ride the clutch a lot at a set of lights and taking off / or reversing??

elshonno

Reaction score
I have ridden the clutch a few times, the smell has only started in the last two days. It really has a strong burnt rubber smell and even the smell goes through my house after I park the car in the garage.

workvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute / ve thunder
I had the same problem with my thunder ute. Around the 2000 klms. I took it back and they had to get a wire brush on top of the exhaust an give it a scrub. Fixed it within 100 klms. Have a good look around. I seem to recall someone else on here with the same problem. I think it may be something there missing on pre delivery. Let me no how you go. :)

Titleist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE s2 SSV
dont ride the clutch then.
get someone who knows how to drive a manual to drive it and see if the smell is still there....my guess it will be gone...

elshonno

Reaction score
I should add the car is only one month old and I thought the exhaust would be ok by now. I bought the car as a demo with 7km on the clock, the first test drive I smel the same thing and asked what it was, the sales guy mentioned it was all the glues and everything settling ( i have never bought new before) the smell hasnt happened since. I only rode the cluth in the first week and drive the car about 4km's a day - my work is only 2k's down the road. The smell happens as soon as I start driving before the exhaust has even heated up. Thanks for the insult tiltiest Ive driven a manual for seven years so its not the way I drive it, Its my first new car so ive been taking extra care how I treat it!

krylothe

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
I just bought a sv6 series 2 manual and the last two days all I can smell is a burning rubber smell. The car has only done 1100k's and I have not thrashed it.
The smell is getting that bad in the cabin its making me asick and making my garage smell like ive just done a burn out inside it.

Could this be the clutch? It doesnt smell like a plastic bag as burning plastic smells alot different. I dont get how a clutch could be ####ed on a car this new.

Any clues would be good. Im going to take it into holden anyway.
If its smelling of burnt rubber have u tried checking where there is rubber on the car, such as the drive belts on the motor, or if a hose is rubbing on one of the pulleys?

Titleist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE s2 SSV
certainly not an insult , was just saying as you noted that you have ridden the clutch a few times...

short trips like that is not the best idea for a new car.. at least get it up to operating temperature and take it for a decent drive...