Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a 200k plus VT S1

ciaranvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec.
Hello!

I have just bought a VT Series 1 Exec Wagon.

I as wondering if there are any typical faults that occur around 200k?

ive checked the rear main seal, the power steering pump has been replaced and it also has new brakes. new tyres (but they wont last long...). Auto is smooth, brakes dont shudder and the bodywork is i-m-m-a-c-u-l-a-t-e!

It has been religiously serviced by an aircraft mechanic, so the engine bay could double as a dining room (its just THAT clean, you really could eat off it)

the camber kit hasnt been fitted, but when i do wheels and springs, i figure ill get that done then. How much should i expect to pay for a camber kit?

anything else i should look out for or get my mechanic to look at when it gets serviced?

Cheers!

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
just out of interest, how much did you pay??

ciaranvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec.

a little bit above the red book, but came with week old bridestone turanzas all round on 16inch wheels. like i said they wont last long.... :D but yeah its mint! i got it with 198000kms on the clock

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
ciaranvt said:

a little bit above the red book, but came with week old bridestone turanzas all round on 16inch wheels. like i said they wont last long.... :D but yeah its mint! i got it with 198000kms on the clock
Well other than setting up the camber kit, and what you have listed, I really wouldn't expect anyother problems, I gave up my VT1 at 261000kms and it could have done heaps more!! Can I also suggest that you fit Poly-Airbags to the rear as well, they work as a secondary safeguard to spring sag which can also affect tyre wear on the rear. Expect to pay about $400 to have the camber kit fitted and a 4 wheel alignment done. The airbags are about $250 a set and if you are handy with your tools and mechanics, are easily fitted at home. Also once you get this done make sure you mention that it is there every time you get a wheel alignment done. After that all I can say is enjoy your motoring and don't lower it, the VT's aren't very forgiving to lowering even with a camber kit!

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
i have a 1998 series 1 acclaim which has now travelled 225000ks.
before the 210000 k mark we had no problems whatsoever not even an oil leak
since then i've had to replace the ABS module, the airbag sensor is playing up, the power steering pump has started to leak & new rotors apart from that it has been very reliable & its tyres last about 30000 ks :thumbsup: