Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying a car that has finance on it

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
I sold my last car which was under finance. When the buyer paid the deposit I asked him for 2 days. Went cash in hand to the bank and settled up. I would never buy a car under finance personally; I'd pay a deposit and wait for the all clear from the seller.

/posted via mobile device\

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
i am selling my car which is under finance and the buyer is paying out the remainder in full, now the finance company says not to hand over the car until i get a letter saying its clear, EFT (1 Day) or Cheque (5 days). the buyer is driving 4 hours to pick up the car on Wednesday so do i get them to pay it out Tuesday by EFT? or do i hold them off until next week?
i have heard most people just go into the bank EFT the money and hand over the car? thats what i was hoping for

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I personally would not buy an encumbered car, the risk is there for you to lose out big time. I'm pretty risk-averse so I'll stick to unencumbered please.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
i should have my unsecured loan money tomorrow so might just pay it out myself then they can give me the bank cheque.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Why cant you get him to get you a final payout figure then sign the rego papers and take the car and give him the cheque in the name Finance Company and any outstanding balance if any in his/her name.

Im sure this is what i did but that was a while ago and in NSW

I sold a car with finance still on it when I moved back to NZ. It was really simple, I got 2 cheques, one for me, the other to the finance company for the amount owing, really simple, and really quite common. All I did was call my finance company and ask how to do it, they were very helpful.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
i just sold mine, was going to have the buyer pay it out but the finance company advised me not to give them the car until i get the unencumberance letter 7 days after payment so i paid it out myself with a personal loan i got and they picked it up. and with the personal loan i bought another car so it all worked out

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Follow the good information on this thread and you should be safe.

Going back to the '80s I bought two close to new vehicles......Fairlane ZJ and Jaguar XJ6 Series 3........that had lots of money owing on them. It was just a case of going to the company owed the money with the owner, paying it out with a bank cheque, and taking possession of the vehicles that were outside the finance company. The owners had previously had the road worthies done. I went to local transport depot and changed them straight into my name. The whole exercise took less than an hour and was a very good deal for me, and got the previous owners out of trouble.

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
Big thread dig... Better then starting 12 new ones I suppose