Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a new TV mostly for gaming!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
hey guys just wondering what tv i should be looking at for gaming i want 40" or bigger decent brand and around 1000-1200$ mostly want it for gaming is there anything i need to look at like pixel ratio LCD or plasma? any help would be appreciated probably head out today.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
If mainly gaming then in my personal opinion i would go for LCD. Select a few brands you think are decent then use Cnet for reviews on those TV's. That is the best way to go. I do it whenever I'm in the market to buy something new, and it never seems to fail me.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
You want to be looking at a number of things, you want to be looking at
The Max Resolution. I think Full HD is 1920 X 1080
For Gaming i would recomend having at least 100hz reposnse time. 200hz is amazing.
And I would maybe look into LED backlighting since power is going up 65% in the next few years.

Stay away from Plasma. They are very cheap, but they are loud, and use about 350WATTS of power for the size you are after. A good LED LCD uses about 100-150 or less.

Be Looking around at something like this.
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led...l-hd-1080-z-series-bravia-lcd-200hz-tv-61031/

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
You want to be looking at a number of things, you want to be looking at
The Max Resolution. I think Full HD is 1920 X 1080
For Gaming i would recomend having at least 100hz reposnse time. 200hz is amazing.
And I would maybe look into LED backlighting since power is going up 65% in the next few years.

Stay away from Plasma. They are very cheap, but they are loud, and use about 350WATTS of power for the size you are after. A good LED LCD uses about 100-150 or less.

Be Looking around at something like this.
Sony 40" Full HD 1080 "Z" Series Bravia LCD 200hz TV - Plasma, Led, Lcd TVs - JB Hi-Fi - Smashing Prices!

cheers mate thats mint but bit out of my price range im lookin at this one what you thinkhttp://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-plasma/sony/40-inch-full-hd-1080-v-series-lcd-tv-65202/

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
joe, ive been looking at around the same thing, looking for a 42" LCD for around that price

what you want is what edals said, nothing under 100hz, 1080p (I think it's 1080p not 1080i thats the better of the two

I was actually really looking into a Hisense 42", definatly not a brand I would run out and look straight to, but was talking to a bloke, they use good panels, they have 3 or 5 year in house replacement full stop, u ring em say theres something wrong they come out and give u a new one within 42hrs simple as that, no bullshit fixing ur tv, just striaght up a new one, was about $1500 probably gone down abit since i was looking

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
I was actually really looking into a Hisense 42", definatly not a brand I would run out and look straight to, but was talking to a bloke, they use good panels, they have 3 or 5 year in house replacement full stop, u ring em say theres something wrong they come out and give u a new one within 42hrs simple as that, no bullshit fixing ur tv, just striaght up a new one, was about $1500 probably gone down abit since i was looking

I bought one of those when the rudd money came out. Can't fault it. It's a great tv picture is really bright has all your inputs no motion blurring or anything. I hook my laptop up to it to watch blue ray on and it works brilliantly.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
mostly for gaming? LCD hands down.

I bought a plasma recently, but it's mainly to watch sports and movies... and its on during the day sometimes, so daytime performance was important too. occasional xbox 360 use, but not enough to warrant going lcd and its inferior sports watching or daytime glare issues.

lcd still doesnt compare to plasma when it comes to watching sports though... getting better though. just pick up any review mag and you'll soon see what im talking about.

Edals said: "Stay away from Plasma. They are very cheap, but they are loud, and use about 350WATTS of power for the size you are after. A good LED LCD uses about 100-150 or less."

He's only right on the power consumption, as plasma does use more. Depends entirely on brand you buy regarding quality (like anything else). My 50" Panasonic Plasma (the 800A, Full HD) is neither cheap nor noisy, and outperforms most if not all LCD's out there- at least it did 12 months ago!

but the title of your thread says it all.... gaming = lcd.

size wise, it completely depends on the room you'll be putting it in- and the distance you'll be sitting at. having a big bertha tv in a bedroom will only get you upset at its apparent poor quality. great website with calculator explaining optimum viewing distance and angles vs screen size referring to THX standards can be found here:
Viewing Distance Calculator

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
mostly for gaming? LCD hands down.

I bought a plasma recently, but it's mainly to watch sports and movies... and its on during the day sometimes, so daytime performance was important too. occasional xbox 360 use, but not enough to warrant going lcd and its inferior sports watching or daytime glare issues.

lcd still doesnt compare to plasma when it comes to watching sports though... getting better though. just pick up any review mag and you'll soon see what im talking about.

Edals said: "Stay away from Plasma. They are very cheap, but they are loud, and use about 350WATTS of power for the size you are after. A good LED LCD uses about 100-150 or less."

He's only right on the power consumption, as plasma does use more. Depends entirely on brand you buy regarding quality (like anything else). My 50" Panasonic Plasma (the 800A, Full HD) is neither cheap nor noisy, and outperforms most if not all LCD's out there- at least it did 12 months ago!

but the title of your thread says it all.... gaming = lcd.

size wise, it completely depends on the room you'll be putting it in- and the distance you'll be sitting at. having a big bertha tv in a bedroom will only get you upset at its apparent poor quality. great website with calculator explaining optimum viewing distance and angles vs screen size referring to THX standards can be found here:
Viewing Distance Calculator

being in IT, im always hearing about it. the quality of a 200hz LCD is amazing. a plasma will beat a cheap LCD, but not these new 200hz LCDs. the quallity and refresh speed is insane.
That Other Sony, I would not be sure. But hey, i still think the best way, go look at the TVs, talk to a sales person that knows what they are talking about, and watch something fast moving to see the quality of it.

Vegaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais
For gaming go for LCD they have the best respose time.
Try and get a monitor if at all possible there the best for gaming.