Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a new TV mostly for gaming!!!!!!!!!!!!

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
Got a sharp 100hz 46" lcd. kicks ass looks great.

working in IT i'd never touch plasma, even the new neo plasma arent that flash.

When I was getting mine this one was 2600 (i got it a bit cheaper) rather go with sharp, considering all the high end sony stuff uses their components then a cheaper brand after experiences with awa, sanyo, samsung etc.

There was a 40" LED next to it the cheapest one on hte market..... the cheapest LED's were all under 3grand and none of them were worth it, yeah they are slimmer but the sharp, sony and even an LG looked better and ran better on power.

if I were you i'd just grab a cheaper LCD for now, when new tech comes out... it needs time to settle if you know what i mean, come two years from now LED will have been around for a bit, be much cheaper and much better.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
You guys should be aware that these '100hz' tvs only operate in 100hz mode when on the tv....Im pretty sure that the AV inputs run at 60hz. At least thats whay my $3000 46' lcd does

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
When I was getting mine this one was 2600 (i got it a bit cheaper) rather go with sharp, considering all the high end sony stuff uses their components then a cheaper brand after experiences with awa, sanyo, samsung etc.

I can't believe you placed Samsung in the cheaper brand category. Not too sure about right now, but I know their LCD panels could not be beaten at least a couple of years ago. I would imagine they would have tried to stay leaders in the game and am confident they would still be up there amongst some of the best LCD panels on the market.

You guys should be aware that these '100hz' tvs only operate in 100hz mode when on the tv....Im pretty sure that the AV inputs run at 60hz. At least thats whay my $3000 46' lcd does

I don't think too many people would be bothering with AV inputs these days if they have spent the money on a HD panel. I know I wouldn't bother buying an expensive HD TV and only feed it with a crappy SD signal, there's no point. You're much better off with a standard CRT panel in that case, it will outperform any LCD or plasma panel any day.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
i was looking at tv's at jb hifi before xmas and the salesman reckoned samsung tv's have the same internals as sony ones. well the LCD ones at least. is this true or is he full of it?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
great point made on LED's.... they will be flooding the market in a few years and it wont be long after that where tv viewing will be changed forever. LED tech will allow cheap and HUGE tv screens... cheap as chips to run, and you'll be able to roll up your screens like a blanket when you are finished using them on half your wall.

dont spend too much on a tv now if you have a choice. get something a little cheaper (about $1000 will get you something decent that you'll be happy with). plasma and lcd will be left gathering dust once LED comes onto the scene.

and take advantage of the sales now! aussie dollar aint going up, so prices wont be coming down any time soon.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
i was looking at tv's at jb hifi before xmas and the salesman reckoned samsung tv's have the same internals as sony ones. well the LCD ones at least. is this true or is he full of it?

Computers are made of all different brands, Like Apple, They Use LG, Phillips, Samsung etc etc. And its the same for every other supplier of technology. I would not say its the same parts but its the same brands.

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
Hi guys ended up with a 40" full HD LCD samsung i couldnt be happier with it 1200$ 5 yr warrenty and hdmi cable thrown in was an excellent deal my god how you notice the difference i love it. thanks for the help i watched a blue ray dvd before :D is all i can say

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
joe, ive been looking at around the same thing, looking for a 42" LCD for around that price

what you want is what edals said, nothing under 100hz, 1080p (I think it's 1080p not 1080i thats the better of the two

I was actually really looking into a Hisense 42", definatly not a brand I would run out and look straight to, but was talking to a bloke, they use good panels, they have 3 or 5 year in house replacement full stop, u ring em say theres something wrong they come out and give u a new one within 42hrs simple as that, no bullshit fixing ur tv, just striaght up a new one, was about $1500 probably gone down abit since i was looking

yeh a saw a few of them there not a bad brand at all i talked myself out of it and got he samsung it was out of a sony bravia v series samsung or the hisense 42"

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
nice choice. i sell tv's for a living and i think samsung are the best to go with. both me and my missus mum have samsungs. wouldn't go any other brand

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
my mate has a 32" samsung lvd full hd tv and it looks amazing and when i get my own hd tv its probably gonna be samsung on sony