Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a second hand VR or VS

Vs_sharlene

Beats a Kick in the Face!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
Nah, they seem pretty expensive from what I hear. Plus if was running rich wouldn't i get smoke?

sicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS - Series 2 / Karma
Vs_sharlene said:
Yea I was getting bad economy (about 220\tank aswell!!) Changed oil, oil + air filters, spark plugs and using higher octance fuel now getting 305\tank.

What else do you rekon to improve on this?

P.s. I know there are other threads about this but I've got same model and problem so specific advice is good

Cheers

!?!?!?! Dude i have a VR 6, and my average per tank is 520-600kms!!? All of which is city driving! I drive 50kms to /from work each day. I run premium only, never put regular unleaded in. its not on lpg either

I think you still have baaaad fuel economy

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Vs_sharlene said:
Nah, they seem pretty expensive from what I hear. Plus if was running rich wouldn't i get smoke?

Depends just how rich its running...

but 300k/tank is a joke. I easlily got 500/tank from mine.. part freeway driving, but gave it plenty of boot too.

Vs_sharlene

Beats a Kick in the Face!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
Yea but 220 was worse. So what to do now to improve on this>>>>

Power21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC sle '81
evil_monkey said:
well i own two vs's a sedan and a ute i used to have a vt sII it ran great but it didnt have enough power beeing a heavier car and just a v6 auto they need at least a 5L/5.7L id say. the vr/vs has been the fastest newwer v6 commy ive driven (i havent driven any older than vn) my step dad owned a vr and my first car was a 5spd vn berlina the vy i found very dissapointing as far as power and comfort

the vs has plenty of go and a cai and k&n filter makes em have just that little bit more.

Is this true or just personal preference regarding the vs being more powerful than a vt?

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Power21 said:
Is this true or just personal preference regarding the vs being more powerful than a vt?

VT has an extra 5kw on the ecotec... but it's about 140kg heavier so the vs has a better power/weight ratio.. basically it's going to be quicker despite the (slightly) less powerful engine.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
mattman said:
VT has an extra 5kw on the ecotec... but it's about 140kg heavier so the vs has a better power/weight ratio.. basically it's going to be quicker despite the (slightly) less powerful engine.

Actually the VT was the same 147 as the vs ecotech only the vx up got the extra 5 Kw.
At least im 98% sure please ppl correct me if im wrong but how did holden get the extra 5 kw any one know cause i have noticed that both the vt and the vx have a CAI but yet only the vx got the power upgrade, so going off that it must not be a factor in the extra power.
Also the series 2 vt shed some weight any idea where that weight came off ????

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
i heard the weight came off from the doors, dunno for sure though
someone said it in one of the threads

Power21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC sle '81
andrewmac said:
Actually the VT was the same 147 as the vs ecotech only the vx up got the extra 5 Kw.
At least im 98% sure please ppl correct me if im wrong but how did holden get the extra 5 kw any one know cause i have noticed that both the vt and the vx have a CAI but yet only the vx got the power upgrade, so going off that it must not be a factor in the extra power.
Also the series 2 vt shed some weight any idea where that weight came off ????

Is it actually exact;y the kw that is said anyway? I know on motor bikes it is never the exact cc's. Like a cbr 250 for example would be like 245cc's. Is it the same for cars?