Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying an isuzu mu

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
hey guys im interested in purchasing a 1992 isuzu mu for a 4x4/run a round.
just wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with them.
i know they run the 2.8ltr turbo diesel, which is a great engine (sluggish but besides that great)
they are a short wheel base which is exactly what i want.
what i would love people to fill me in on is the following:
are they comfy?
does the back of them actually come off, or is it permanent?
is the drive line identical to the rodeo, or are there differences?
i have read they are quite economical, is this an accurate statement?
and most importantly, i hear they are great off road, can someone back this up?

cheers guys.
johnny

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
anyone had anything to do with them?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i used to import them from japan and i can safely advise you to steer well clear of em'

i you MUST buy one make sure you take the base of the back seat out and check the rear seat belt bolts/floor for rust. in fact itll need a massive going over for rust. the engines are crap, the body-roll around corners is horrific cornering is really good though.

anyways anwsers to your q's

comfy? well the fronts seats are not too bad i guess. they are a bitch on the fwy to keep in a straight line. oh and the aussie Klippan seat belt buckle will dig into your hip if you get one imported on the old system. (green compliance plate)

back doesnt come off. i think you might be able to get canvas rear models though

not rodeo, frontera i believe. exactly the same car, holden just badge engineered it. so most parts available from holden for $$$$$$$

not economical unless you do a full rebuild on the engine. pig of an engine to start with. every one weve done has blown smoke. glow plugs seem to die on them often, i dont know if its just cos they get abused in japan.

i have never taken one off road, but i can tell you the body roll around corners scares the crap outta ya'. i wouldnt want to be tipping it sideways on any severe angles.

but thats all my opinions, so you may drive one and love it. who knows.

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers mate, that was the exact info I was looking for, thank you very much. I guess I will start looking onto other short wheel based Cara aswell, but to be honest, I don't want the bj40 because they are really un-comfy, don't want bj-73 because I don't like the shape so it really is going to be tricky finding one I like haha.

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
Ive got a holden rodeo isuzu engine.. biggest pile of jizz ive ever drivin.. plenty of power
but they have bad oil consumption... this wouldnt apply to you as im talking about the 6VE1 petrol engine.. if i could go back, i would of got a landcruiser bundera.. there like a baby version of a troopie.